KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got enough time on their KFX to do their first valve adjustment? I got about 35-40 hours on mine now, and I wanna do my valves. I know the specs are printed on a label on the airbox lid, but what about time intervals? The manual calls for the first inspection/adjustment @ 1100 miles and then every 2200 miles, but that's kinda tuff to get my head around. Kinda hard to figure out mileage. Anyway, any comments will be helpful. Later, SB

·
Registered
2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quad Runner @ May 5 2007, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would check them every 30 to 50 hours just to make sure your good.[/b]
i just got my kfx dyno tuned over the weekend, and the tec at csa told me at about 10 hrs, or when its hot and u try to start it back up and it starts hard.... its time. then once a season after that because of valve stretch. hope this helps just what i was told i havent done mine yet i was starting to think about it.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
When I had mine checked last year the dealership told me that normally most manufactures say after 10 hours but, Kawasaki was telling them 20 hours. Mine had about 15 on it when I took it in and the clearances were just fine.

I will be having them done at least once a year from now on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (raredirt @ Apr 9 2008, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When I had mine checked last year the dealership told me that normally most manufactures say after 10 hours but, Kawasaki was telling them 20 hours. Mine had about 15 on it when I took it in and the clearances were just fine.

I will be having them done at least once a year from now on.[/b]
Whats a shop usually charge for adjusting them?? or is it easy enough to do yourself?

·
Registered
171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Litemup02 @ Apr 19 2008, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Whats a shop usually charge for adjusting them?? or is it easy enough to do yourself?[/b]
I am not sure on how much a shop charges to adjust them, but It is definitely easy enough to do it yourself, If you have the time. All you need is a feeler gauge to check them. But if they are not in spec you will need a valve shim kit. You can buy one off ebay for around $60 and that comes with every shim you will probably need. I put stage 2 cams in mine and i didnt need to mess with the shims, but overtime you probably will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts