KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for advice from some of the better mechanics and those up on the new 2013 kx450f. I know swapping cams from 08 and up bikes works but with new cam profiling on the 2013 bike I'm curious to see if that same changeover is possible. It is supposed to make the new bike better in every aspect performance wise. So if anyone has any hints, clues or suggestions as to if the new cams will swap over safely please feel free to lay your knowledge down! I understand that reshimming may be in order. Mainly curious of if its going to be to much air / fuel for the stock compression to fully take advantage of. Again, any leads are appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Without an intake tube change you wont notice much if any gain from the cams. Get the FCI or Fuel Atv intake to make the first big jump in HP. Then you will notice a gain with a cam swap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the intake tube restriction. But that is not the question in theory, I'm wondering that with the more aggressive tuning will be mechanically compatible with the older 08 engine. This could be a simple answer, I just don't know it.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
By my understanding the intake cam will but the exhaust cam won't .

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It should "fit" but keep in mind that springs may be in order. The actual cam grind numbers would help, but I'm guessing some after market companies are already at or beyond the 2013 bike cam.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
+1 on that if you are familiar with lift ,duration, and ramp design i would just call web cams & they can build as radical of a high lift,low duration cam you would want. Just remember if you go to crazy your going to need springs.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
+1 on that if you are familiar with lift ,duration, and ramp design i would just call web cams & they can build as radical of a high lift,low duration cam you would want. Just remember if you go to crazy your going to need springs.
Yeah they will build you what you want but they are expensive. I think what he's wondering here is if the new stock cam that costs $150 is closer to say a stage three cam or a Webb cam. I really doubt it, but I would love to see the grind numbers if someone finds that info.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I will be surprised if it is not compatible.

It will be a total waste though without working on the intake though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'd like to start by saying thank you to all that have replied, it really renews my confidence in this site. As far as my intake tube goes, that is no longer a problem as I run a fuel customs intake now, which I recently purchased off a 09 Kawi at haydays. With a few more hours of digging my concern has changed to that of if the new stock intake cam can be safely run in a motor with all factory Internals? albeit valve springs may be needed as was also previously stated. I know the new bike has a different piston I just don't know how it compares to a stock 450r piston.

So to restate my question based on Newley given evidence:

It it feasible to run the new intake cam from a '13 bike In an 08' quad, with the stock 08' compression ratio? Also is it of financial benefit to skip the web cam if Kawi has come up with a new intake cam that changes the bike "dramatically" and possibly quad for a fraction of the price of a web cam setup? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have a pro Circuit intake cam I will sell for $70 shipped. Paired with the oem exhaust cam, you will loose no torque on bottom, and gain everywhere. Just not so much at the very top.

I really liked that setup, and would do it again. No new valve springs needed. Not a drastic change in how the machine runs, just an improvement. If you want a drastic change, get the Web cams.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I'd like to start by saying thank you to all that have replied, it really renews my confidence in this site. As far as my intake tube goes, that is no longer a problem as I run a fuel customs intake now, which I recently purchased off a 09 Kawi at haydays. With a few more hours of digging my concern has changed to that of if the new stock intake cam can be safely run in a motor with all factory Internals? albeit valve springs may be needed as was also previously stated. I know the new bike has a different piston I just don't know how it compares to a stock 450r piston.

So to restate my question based on Newley given evidence:

It it feasible to run the new intake cam from a '13 bike In an 08' quad, with the stock 08' compression ratio? Also is it of financial benefit to skip the web cam if Kawi has come up with a new intake cam that changes the bike "dramatically" and possibly quad for a fraction of the price of a web cam setup? Thanks again!
Now that I think about it, you might want to check Kibblewhite's website for valve specs on the 2012 KX. I am thinking the shorter heads use shorter valves.... and with that in mind if you switch that too, then you would want to check the valve diameter and also the diameter of the valve reliefs in the piston of choice as well.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Why a 2013 bike cam? 2006 thru 2009 are a great improvement. I have stage 3 hot cams for sale 150.00 shipped if your looking for top end power

1 - 12 of 12 Posts