KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently told a buddy of mine I will look at his 2012 kfx450R. It needed a new injector. So I put the injector in along with a new fuel pump. Now it will not start at all. It started fine before I changed these 2 things. Any ideas? Could it have perhaps jumped time? Maybe the ECU went bad? If the ecu which one should he get? There is only an aftermarket pipe on it. Also would he need to get any thing else if he decides on a procom ecu? He doesn’t have a lot of money and I want him to get the one that’ll be the cheapest for him.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,894 Posts
So I recently told a buddy of mine I will look at his 2012 kfx450R. It needed a new injector. So I put the injector in along with a new fuel pump. Now it will not start at all. It started fine before I changed these 2 things. Any ideas? Could it have perhaps jumped time? Maybe the ECU went bad? If the ecu which one should he get? There is only an aftermarket pipe on it. Also would he need to get any thing else if he decides on a procom ecu? He doesn’t have a lot of money and I want him to get the one that’ll be the cheapest for him.
Thanks
Check for DFI error codes...see pic

Test the output voltage of the vehicle down sensor...see pic

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I’ll test it when I get the chance. I work all week so I won’t be able to do anything till next week at the earliest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: now no lights will come one. No dash lights nothing at all. It does not even try to start. Battery is good and it has a new spark plug. It’s like it’s dead, not even trying to start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will a main wiring harness from a 2008 kfx450R work on this 2012? Just asking cause I looked online and they are different part numbers.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,894 Posts
Yes...The older harness have reverse lights for the European model spec's that were removed with the newer harness...!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I can get him a wiring harness for a 2008 kfx450R for $50, but the fuel pump relay has one wire that was cut and needs spliced together. Is it still worth it? Or would splicing it not work?

·
Super Moderator
9,894 Posts
I can get him a wiring harness for a 2007 kfx450R for $50, but the fuel pump relay has one wire that was cut and needs spliced together. Is it still worth it? Or would splicing it not work?
Not sure...? I don't know what's wrong with the one your have...you never stated...?

Also is the motor all stock or has upgrade..??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The motor looks to be all stock. The only thing aftermarket appears to be the pipe.
the wiring harness he has now most of the wires are bare. Most of the wires now needs tape around them.

·
Super Moderator
9,894 Posts
The motor looks to be all stock. The only thing aftermarket appears to be the pipe.
the wiring harness he has now most of the wires are bare. Most of the wires now needs tape around them.
Then yes it's worth it to get that $50.00 2008 harness & splice the fuel pump relay wires to it from the old harness...

Also did you get the Procom ecu for him as stated from the first posting...???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I didn’t get him an ecu yet? Why does it have to match the wiring harness? Is there something I should know about the procom ecu ? Haha make it simple for me. Will any ecu work with any wiring harness?im regretting telling him I would work on it. Fuel injected is weird to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,894 Posts
No I didn’t get him an ecu yet? Why does it have to match the wiring harness? Is there something I should know about the procom ecu ? Haha make it simple for me. Will any ecu work with any wiring harness?im regretting telling him I would work on it. Fuel injected is weird to me.
Have to match what? Don't know what your talking about...???

Not sure If you know what the ECU is...???...It's the computer that controls everything... See picture Procom & stock ECU...

Stock ECU is around $400.00
Procom is around $300.00 PE-E-AK450-A Programmable Performance ECU For: Kawasaki KFX450R (Year 08-14)

Here a thread on the Procom Procom Fully Reprogrammable High Performance ECU

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know what the ecu is. It’s like the brain that controls everything. The way you asked about the motor being stock thought maybe a procom wouldn’t work. Is there a reason you asked if not motor is all stock? Cause I could be overlooking something I missed. With that being said is there anything else he would need for the procom?

·
Super Moderator
9,894 Posts
I know what the ecu is. It’s like the brain that controls everything. The way you asked about the motor being stock thought maybe a procom wouldn’t work. Is there a reason you asked if not motor is all stock? Cause I could be overlooking something I missed. With that being said is there anything else he would need for the procom?
Yes...Air/fuel ratio .. too lean or too rich can cause problems...too lean the motor can pre ignition/detonation can occur destroying the motor...Too rich mixture can cause carbon build up on piston & valves surfaces increasing the compression causing very poor performance...

If your motor is all stock then the air/fuel mixture is factory set...
Upgrades will need fuel controllers to adjust air/fuel mixture...like a fuel custom intake..see picture stock is circled..Fuel custom is not...!
More air needs more fuel added or your motor is lean & will not run

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts