KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been struggling trying to figure out what’s wrong, it will be running great then cuts out, backfires, and bogs then dies. This happens at different lengths of rides from a couple blocks to 40 miles. I will turn it off and back on the fuel pump cycles, all fuses are good, cranks just won’t fire. I will unplug the coil and plug it back in fires right up and runs strong. Also is running a little richer than normal and has a puff backfire when I shut it off.

Procom ecu (map 7)
Fci
Nmotion full exhaust
No roll over sensor
Ford triton engine coil

Fuel pressure is constant at 43 psi
TPS is a little high at .67 idle to 4 WOT
Load tested wires to coil
Rectifier tests in spec

New:
Map sensor
Water temp sensor
Crank sensor and stator
Battery
Spark plug
Spark plug wire

Has anyone had this problem or ideas on what to check next?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,699 Posts
0.67v for the TPS is too high even for the Procom...Set it back to 0.64v max...Also running it rich will cause carbon build up on the Piston & valves reduces performance and can cause dieseling & detonation to occur...run some seafoam motor treatment in your tank to clean up the carbon build up...

Also not sure..?? if the Ford triton coil is suitable for the Procom igniter circuit (causes collapsing spark)..Some members in the past even had problems with the Jeep coil mod damaging there ECUs..

Also check your valve clearance might be time to adjust your valves...0.10~0.15mm Intake & 0.17~0.23mm exhaust

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I set my TPS to .635v and is still a little rich with an air/fuel ratio of ~12, so I will lower it a little more and test it again. I wish I tested the air/fuel ratio at .67v but it's a lot leaner now.

I emailed procom with specs of the coil. I had a slightly charred terminal for the coil connection and that seemed to be my problem with it dying. I had that coil on there for at least a year so I hope it won't damage the ECU.

I will check my valves soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,699 Posts
I set my TPS to .635v and is still a little rich with an air/fuel ratio of ~12, so I will lower it a little more and test it again. I wish I tested the air/fuel ratio at .67v but it's a lot leaner now.

I emailed procom with specs of the coil. I had a slightly charred terminal for the coil connection and that seemed to be my problem with it dying. I had that coil on there for at least a year so I hope it won't damage the ECU.

I will check my valves soon.
If you want a decent coil I'm running the dynatek coil on my quad with great performance... Dynatek Ignition Coil Kit Kawasaki KFX450 KFX 450 2008+ Dyna | eBay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I might have to try that, but I don’t think the coil is causing me problems now. It is still running very rich (air fuel ratio of 12.4) and tps is set at .615v and ecu on map 5 with very little change between 5,6, and 7.

I checked the map sensor hose for cracks and looks good. I can’t seem to find a voltage spec for map sensor for atmospheric pressure. My new (1 year old) one tests at .5v and my old one at .57v and cars test from 1-2 volts. Do you know what it is supposed to be at?

The only sensor I haven’t replaced is inlet air temp. Do you think that would cause it to run rich?

Or any other ideas on why it’s running so rich?

·
Super Moderator
9,699 Posts
Ok I might have to try that, but I don’t think the coil is causing me problems now. It is still running very rich (air fuel ratio of 12.4) and tps is set at .615v and ecu on map 5 with very little change between 5,6, and 7.

I checked the map sensor hose for cracks and looks good. I can’t seem to find a voltage spec for map sensor for atmospheric pressure. My new (1 year old) one tests at .5v and my old one at .57v and cars test from 1-2 volts. Do you know what it is supposed to be at?

The only sensor I haven’t replaced is inlet air temp. Do you think that would cause it to run rich?

Or any other ideas on why it’s running so rich?
Does it die when the motor gets hot & can't restart...???
Check your valve clearance...Before any other test....!!!!!

0.10~015mm Intake
0.17~0.23mm exhaust

1 - 6 of 6 Posts