KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO im hoping someone can help/explain how and why my motoworks s4 slip on would BLOW UP at full throttle. it litterally blew apart, a big ass hole in the top of the mother fucker. does anyone have a clue? and any tips on how i could prevent this from happening again??? i am going to trail fest in 2 weeks at hatfield mccoy and needa get this situation under control!!! i just recently wrapped my exhaust with exhaust wrap, would this mess with it? it was supposed to help with the heat. GAAAAAAWWWWW!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
What other mods are you running?intake and filter efi controller!could be a bad map if you have a efi controller if not and your running an intake than you need a efi controller!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naw buddy. i installed a K&N air filter but no intake yet. which one would you suggest??

·
Super Moderator
9,901 Posts
naw buddy. i installed a K&N air filter but no intake yet. which one would you suggest??
It's not your exhaust wrap...

The only thing that would cause the hole to form would be from a stress fracture/metal fatigue in the slip-on... A defect made worse brought on by heat and vibration...

·
Registered
386 Posts
You should be fine fuel mixture-wise if that's all your mods. Get us a picture, it does sound like manufacture defect from what you've told us...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
if it was a big ass hole like he sed i dont think it is a defect. sounds like unburnt fuel detinating inside the can. a extreemly rair set of circumstances. a ritch mix gives the fuel a pore seal from the pipe to the tip for the air and some floting valves for the spark and vuala a pipe bomb "pun intended" i know it sounds far fetched but you see it happen all the time on cars runing flame throwers just insted of a spark plug in the tail pipe it had some other form of ignition.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you have a pipe and an intake, but no EFI controller, your fuel mixture is lean, which causes excessive heat and can damage the muffler. I've seen it several times on here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

If you have a pipe and an intake, but no EFI controller, your fuel mixture is lean, which causes excessive heat and can damage the muffler. I've seen it several times on here.

is there a way to mess with that without getting a efi controller?

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

which would burn the packing out and allow unburnt fuel to build up in the can.

·
Registered
546 Posts

which would burn the packing out and allow unburnt fuel to build up in the can.

If you are running lean there is no way there is any way of unburnt fuel getting to the can. There is not even enough getting to the cylinder. All he has is an K&N filter so he isn't getting any more air in. Also there is no way of adjusting the fuel unless you get aftermarket. Such as the Procom as mentioned which is a fuel controller that can do a little more or just a straight up fuel controller.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If you are running lean there is no way there is any way of unburnt fuel getting to the can. There is not even enough getting to the cylinder. All he has is an K&N filter so he isn't getting any more air in. Also there is no way of adjusting the fuel unless you get aftermarket. Such as the Procom as mentioned which is a fuel controller that can do a little more or just a straight up fuel controller.[/QUOTE]

which is why i dont think it is lean. air dont explode fuel does. if it was a defect you would get a rip a stress crack or broken weld not blown apart or even a hole blown in it. i'm not trying to be arguminative to me you fant get a explosion with out fuel,air and some form of ignition. so ther had to be some kind of unburnt flamible substance coming out of that motor my gues would be gass. unles some one put gun powder in the tip. lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
I really dont see any fuel getting back there. The header wrap will hold in the heat and help to burn fuel as soon as it leaves the cylinder if any is getting out. I would say more than likely it just got hot and burned a hole. Even if there was packing and there was fuel getting back there the same thing would happen. The packing would aide it as it would hold the fuel in there even more and cause a bigger one.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I really dont see any fuel getting back there. The header wrap will hold in the heat and help to burn fuel as soon as it leaves the cylinder if any is getting out. I would say more than likely it just got hot and burned a hole. Even if there was packing and there was fuel getting back there the same thing would happen. The packing would aide it as it would hold the fuel in there even more and cause a bigger one.
i feal ya. he just made it sound in discription that it exploded while riding so i just went on the idea of an "explosion" i gues i just got to focused and missed the biger picture. it just put me in mind of this old 1951 chevy fleetline i had with flame throwers on it. i forgot to turn it off one morning and choaked it so when the plug in the exaust fired it blew all to hell. just didnt want to steer the boy wrong

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's why I asked for a picture, so we're not guessing what happened based on "there's a big ass hole in the can!". Maybe is WAS near the seam or something? I agree, if it's just a hole in the middle of a non-jointed area, it would be hard to claim manufacture defect. But from his mods (if that's also a true case) he should NOT be running that rich to have gas build up in the can and explode. I recall reading a similar thread not terribly long ago with the same problem. I don't remember if it was ever figured out or not though.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
That's why I asked for a picture, so we're not guessing what happened based on "there's a big ass hole in the can!". Maybe is WAS near the seam or something? I agree, if it's just a hole in the middle of a non-jointed area, it would be hard to claim manufacture defect. But from his mods (if that's also a true case) he should NOT be running that rich to have gas build up in the can and explode. I recall reading a similar thread not terribly long ago with the same problem. I don't remember if it was ever figured out or not though.

thats what i was thinking. it would half to be a problem with a injector squrting or a folty sencer or ecu for it to blow up but like you sed we need to see a picture of the can to know for shure.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
dude, trail fest is in two weeks?!. fill me in i wanted to go >.<

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Strubby, how are those CST ambush tires? Fronts look weak, they decent?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Strubby, how are those CST ambush tires? Fronts look weak, they decent?

Got a set on my quad as well. Overall for the price the tire isn't bad at all. They have performed well in the desert riding and woods back east here as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes, trail fest in 1 week now! gilbert west virginia october 6-10th homie! dont miss it!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts