KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,770 Posts
Still having starting issues...???

First make sure the battery is fully charged 12.8v + standard..

Make sure the vehicle down sensor is mounted properly...see picture below for location...

Does your f.I light remain ON or flashing when trying to start....??? see picture below...

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good evening. I just saw your reply tonight.
I’m a 50 yr old dad whom had 86’ 250R and 89’ 250R in early my early 20’s and had fun tweaking them. My son and I bought this 08 450r and I admit I was not prepared for something with a ECM and sensors and may have big problems. The stator is not charging and also
I put a new battery in it. Rode it on a all day trail ride and ran great despite hard starts. Took all apart and replaced broken decompression spring. Also pulled out a old power commander that was only attached to a ground by gas tank. Put all back to together and started but left red light stays on and it lost its low end throttle response.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was not having any service light issues or performance issues before swapping new comp spring. I never fully removed the gas tank. To take valve cover off.

·
Super Moderator
9,770 Posts
Good evening. I just saw your reply tonight.
I’m a 50 yr old dad whom had 86’ 250R and 89’ 250R in early my early 20’s and had fun tweaking them. My son and I bought this 08 450r and I admit I was not prepared for something with a ECM and sensors and may have big problems. The stator is not charging and also
I put a new battery in it. Rode it on a all day trail ride and ran great despite hard starts. Took all apart and replaced broken decompression spring. Also pulled out a old power commander that was only attached to a ground by gas tank. Put all back to together and started but left red light stays on and it lost its low end throttle response.
Ok..! F.I dash light remains ON is pointing to an DFI error..First... run a self diagnostic to check for error codes in the DFI system...
Orange wire in a black pouch..ground it to the frame...turn the key & count the (far left) dash light flashes...
See pictures below

Make sure the battery is fully charged before riding...12.8 volts standard...The ECU & sensors don't function if the battery voltage is below 12v...!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok this sounds good. I will check my batteries since they have not been charging and study your photos to do the code check thing and report back when complete. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. I tested for codes and it shows a long flash followed by short flash for main throttle sensor sensor malfunction with open wire or short. Also in taking things apart we noticed the kill switch was unhooked so we removed it as well. I think it was hooked to these wires because if touched together it kills the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey hey. We found a severed yellow wire. Looks like some one striped insulation off it. Looks like old copper exposure. Goes to a plug on side of throttle body boot. Very tough spot to reach. When attached red light stays off.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. We have eliminated the code light and seems to run good while the yellow wire is taped together. I just gotta figure out how to pull that plug off to properly fix. Still not charging. Would that be a simple stator replacement? Thank you so much for Your help.

·
Super Moderator
9,770 Posts
Ok. We have eliminated the code light and seems to run good while the yellow wire is taped together. I just gotta figure out how to pull that plug off to properly fix. Still not charging. Would that be a simple stator replacement? Thank you so much for Your help.
Ok...The main throttle positioning sensor/TPS will need to be Checked/adjusted to be in range...0.58~0.62v DC @ throttle closed...3.7~4.1v DC @ throttle wide open...see picture below

You'll need an digital multimeter & this Sensor adapter 57001-1538 is best to check & adjust the TPS https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-57001-1538-SENSOR-ADAPTER/273851776573?epid=1630584716&hash=item3fc2d67e3d:g:0CYAAOSwR1FZ5NlE

The yellow wire will need to solderd together...!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I will have to ponder this one. Must figure out how to remove the sensor plug first. Nervous about destroying it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. Finally have free time to work on this thing.

I installed new stator, new rectifier, new TPS adapter wire and plugged all in. Dash lights all good.

Engine will not fire. Installed new spark plug and still no fire. Dang! I feel like I was being careful and using your manual. From picture it looks like crank position sensor sits on top of wire hold down bracket before installing bolts as far as position goes. ???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know it’s wrong to do but it will start if I give it gas but then dies if I try to let it idle.

·
Super Moderator
9,770 Posts
Also my battery is 12.85volts.
TPS is .57 closed and 3.86 open.
The TPS at 0.57 @ close is out of range...adjust it back into range...0.58~0.62v @ close...

When was your valve clearance checked...??

Valve Clearance: between cam and valve lifter
Standard:
Exhaust 0.17 ∼ 0.22 mm (0.0067 ∼ 0.0087 in.)
Inlet 0.10 ∼ 0.15 mm (0.0039 ∼ 0.0059 in.)
If the valve clearance is not within the specified range,
adjust it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I now realize .57 may work for horseshoes and hand grenades but will not squeak by for idle settings. I now have it at .62 and it starts and runs under own power. Wow! This fix as well as the new decompression spring is giving me hope to move forward with it. I will now start learning about valve adjustments. Thanks for your help on this and have a great Sunday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dang! Thought all was good. I am concerned it’s still not charging. New stator and rectifier and the battery reads 12.6-8 when idling and when give a bit of throttle it drops to 12.3 range and head lights dim when blip throttle. It’s starting and running good.

·
Super Moderator
9,770 Posts
Dang! Thought all was good. I am concerned it’s still not charging. New stator and rectifier and the battery reads 12.6-8 when idling and when give a bit of throttle it drops to 12.3 range and head lights dim when blip throttle. It’s starting and running good.
Can you test the stator output...see picture below...

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi. I checked all thee contacts and it looks like they are showing proper voltage. Also switched back and forth between old and new rectifiers but no see no difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts