KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods that I know of since I bought it used,
DMC Programmer. (No info given on it) (Know nothing about it)
Fuel Custom intake and air cleaner.

Coolant coming from the weep hole on the water pump housing.
Searched threads on here and read about the fan not coming on...like mine.
As soon as I shut the machine down with the kill switch, key on, the fan comes on.
I read in the thread that the Temperature sensor is bad. 51.00 later not fixed. (Same issue)
Went to the relay since I already knew the fuses were good. Tested the relay. Supplied 12 volts and heard the relay click and tested the ohms. All zeros !!
I can start the bike and pull the temp sensor plug off the sensor and the fan cones on and so does the red light left side of light panel. Can't start the bike with the Sensor connector unplugged. Have to leave the connector plugged in, start the bike and then unplug it.

What am I missing ??

This programmer..... Is that just plug and play or is it hard wired in. I know I could chase the harness but I'm 53 years old and looking for a quick answer. LOL !!
Does the programmer go hand in hand with air intake system ? I'd like to delete the programmer. The bike does have a weird sounding idle. Idles smooth the sounds like it wants to cut out for a second then idles fine and cuts out for a second. Almost like an intermittent miss. Only for a fraction of a second.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Welcome to the Forum...!!!

Coolant coming out the weep hole means your water pump 2-seals needing changing...

You need a fuel programmer with the Fuel custom Intake...!!!!

You'll need to know how to program your fuel programmer, your probably running too lean of a Air/fuel mixture causing your cutting out & over heating problem..!
Program to 4/5/3 to start with

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well from what I have been reading, about you, your advice has excellent credibility.
Thank You !!
With the fan running with the sensor unplugged the coolant don't come out the weep hole. Maybe running too cool ?
I have to read up on how to program that programmer. Wish it wasn't there and the bike was stock.
Trouble with where I live there isn't many places to take a machine like this to get work done on. I could haul it 72 miles away but appointments are 3 week out.
Even if the seals in the water pump were bad that still don't explain why the fan don't come on. Maybe I'm not completely understanding your explanation.

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Well from what I have been reading, about you, your advice has excellent credibility.
Thank You !!
With the fan running with the sensor unplugged the coolant don't come out the weep hole. Maybe running too cool ?
I have to read up on how to program that programmer. Wish it wasn't there and the bike was stock.
Trouble with where I live there isn't many places to take a machine like this to get work done on. I could haul it 72 miles away but appointments are 3 week out.
Even if the seals in the water pump were bad that still don't explain why the fan don't come on. Maybe I'm not completely understanding your explanation.
Does your F.I dash light (far left) remain ON when starting or idling...? or turns off after 3 seconds turning the key ON...??

The weep hole is a warning to a bad seal on the water pump shaft... see pic part# 92026 & part # 92049a

(Your radiator might be empty)..!!! double check your coolant level by opening the radiator cap & look into it with a flash light...

Unplug the water temp sensor & turn the key ON ( don't start it)...if the fan doesn't come on, check the both 10 amp fuses in orange boxes & relays...!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's where this all started. With the sensor unplugged and I turn the key on the fan comes on. With the sensor plugged in and you ride the bike it will start to drip coolant out the weep hole. Fan never comes on. When you turn the kill switch off on the handlebar then the fan will come on....key on.
Coolant is full from me swapping out the temperature sensor.
Relay is good....Supply 12v to it and it clicks. Test the ohms with the relay still energized and it;s all 000 (zeros)

I can ride the bike for an hour with the sensor unplugged and never loose a drop of coolant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And...I also went home last night and made sure everything was plugged in and started the bike.
I turned the key on to see what light were on on the panel.
I turned the key on and the far left red light came on for about 3 to 4 seconds and went out. The green neutral light was on also.
I turned the kill switch on and started the bike and the only light that was on was the green neutral light. The red light never showed back up.

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
And...I also went home last night and made sure everything was plugged in and started the bike.
I turned the key on to see what light were on on the panel.
I turned the key on and the far left red light came on for about 3 to 4 seconds and went out. The green neutral light was on also.
I turned the kill switch on and started the bike and the only light that was on was the green neutral light. The red light never showed back up.
The coolant sensor needs to be plugged in or your DFI will error & goes into limp mode & advance timing is locked...!!!

The weep hole is is between the an oil seal & water pump seal...if either leaks indicates the seal is going bad...

Make sure your radiator is full of coolant & burp the any air bubbles out of the hoses...!!

Adjust your fuel programmer to a richer mixture for your air/fuel ratio is running lean with the fuel custom intake...

or take it to a shop & have them look at it......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts