KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey first time poster here!
I recently grabbed my 2008 KFX450r out of storage and I'm trying to get her back up and running. So far I changed the oil, emptied the gas tank and filled it up with some sea foam mixed in. No parts have been added/replaced since the original owner before 2013.

The battery was obviously shot so I gave it a jump from my car (that's all I've got right now). Turned the key and the green light and FI light comes on then the FI light goes out. I went to start her up and she is chugging trying to get going but can't quite get it all the way.

I've got a new battery and spark plug on the way, but if that doesn't solve the problem, with all these sensors and high tech stuff it's a little over my head... Did I not re connect properly when i put the gas tank back on?

Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
Welcome to the Forum....!!!

I don't recommend using a car battery to many amps & can damage your voltage regulator...

Wait until the new battery & new spark plug before continuing....

Are you sure it's was running before the previous owner put it in storage...???

Do you have an idea on how many hours on the motor..??

If it sat for 5 years with pump gas being ethanol, it will damage the fuel strainer & fuel pump...!!!

Pull the fuel line off the tank & do a flow test...see pic

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forum....!!!

I don't recommend using a car battery to many amps & can damage your voltage regulator...

Wait until the new battery & new spark plug before continuing....

Are you sure it's was running before the previous owner put it in storage...???

Do you have an idea on how many hours on the motor..??

If it sat for 5 years with pump gas being ethanol, it will damage the fuel strainer & fuel pump...!!!

Pull the fuel line off the tank & do a flow test...see pic

Ok thanks! I'm the one who put it in storage and yes it was running. Not sure how many hours on the engine but it was in pretty good shape when I bought it, never had any issues starting or anything and ran good. The gas that sat in it was 91 octane but I don't think I put any stabilizer in there. Battery just came in and the spark plug should be in in the next couple days. I'll try the flow test out because that sounds about right. Thanks for the quick response!

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
Ok thanks! I'm the one who put it in storage and yes it was running. Not sure how many hours on the engine but it was in pretty good shape when I bought it, never had any issues starting or anything and ran good. The gas that sat in it was 91 octane but I don't think I put any stabilizer in there. Battery just came in and the spark plug should be in in the next couple days. I'll try the flow test out because that sounds about right. Thanks for the quick response!
Just in case it's the fuel pump...Ebay sells them cheap .... Fuel Pump For 08-13 Kawasaki KFX450R / KSF450-BAF 49040-0049 49040-0030 35mm | eBay

And here's a thread to guide you How to clean fuel pump

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just in case it's the fuel pump...Ebay sells them cheap .... Fuel Pump For 08-13 Kawasaki KFX450R / KSF450-BAF 49040-0049 49040-0030 35mm | eBay

And here's a thread to guide you How to clean fuel pump
Ok i'm checking back in.

I put a new battery and spark plug on.

Did a flow test and i'm getting just over 100ml of fuel with one push of the ignition button.

Still not wanting to start but it sure sounds like it's trying. Do I need to check and or replace the fuel pump you think?

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
Ok i'm checking back in.

I put a new battery and spark plug on.

Did a flow test and i'm getting just over 100ml of fuel with one push of the ignition button.

Still not wanting to start but it sure sounds like it's trying. Do I need to check and or replace the fuel pump you think?
The fuel flow test is for the 3-seconds the pump primes when you turn the key on...you don't push the starter button...see pic

•Measure the discharge for 3 seconds.
○Repeat this operation several times.
Amount of Fuel Flow
Standard: 50 mL (1.7 US oz.) or more for 3 seconds

Also the fuel injector might be gummed up due to sitting for 5 years..!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fuel flow test is for the 3-seconds the pump primes when you turn the key on...you don't push the starter button...see pic

Amount of Fuel Flow

Ok just tried that out. Seems to be priming fine.

Each time I turn the key on it's putting out just over 100ml of fuel.

Did this 5 times with the same reading each time.

Spark plug is firing, I did try and put a few drops of fuel into the cylinder and that also didn't work.

I pulled the fuel line off and it seems to be unobstructed and able to pass fuel. Where do I go from here.

PS thank you for all of this guidance it is EXTREMELY helpful!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Amount of Fuel Flow

I am also trying to figure out how to run the self diagnostic mode. I found the orange and black wire but i don't know how to ground it to the frame. There is a piece of rubber over the end of the orange and black wire.

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
I am also trying to figure out how to run the self diagnostic mode. I found the orange and black wire but i don't know how to ground it to the frame. There is a piece of rubber over the end of the orange and black wire.
You'll need to make a ground wire adapter to do the self diagnostic or alligator clips test leads ...see picture
(terminal)Male Blue Insulated Bullet Connector Terminals 16-14AWG Wire .157 100pcs | eBay

(Ring) 25 3/8" Blue 16-14 Ga AWG Gauge Car Power Wire Ring Terminals Connectors Crimp | eBay

(Alligator clip) Banana Plug to Alligator Clip Test Hook Probe Cables Heavy Duty For Multimeter 713289308957 | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i made the adapter and hooked it up. No codes flashed though? i used a 14 gauge wire to connect the terminals.

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
So i made the adapter and hooked it up. No codes flashed though? i used a 14 gauge wire to connect the terminals.
Ok! Make sure to keep the battery on the charger to maintain a full charge of 12.8 volts...

Can you spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid into the throttle body's air pressure's vacuum hose ventri to see if it will fire...??? (Ventri is red box shown in picture below)

Make sure there's a little slack in the throttle cable and then check the TPS/throttle positioning sensor voltage to be in range...See pictures...

You'll need a digital multimeter like this 7 Fn Digital Multimeter AC DC Voltage Volt 10 Amp Current Resistance Ohm Meter 847551071710 | eBay

Easier with the Kawasaki adapter 57001-1538 Kawasaki 57001-1538 - SENSOR ADAPTER | eBay

or stick the meter lead in the back of the TPS connector... yellow is positive, Brown is negative...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts