KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my oe 14t sprocket with a 15t Renthal. The gearing on these is pretty short and I felt like if I could get a little more speed out of each gear I would like the feel and possibly close the gap on the Yfz that kept beating me in those Silver lake drag races. I took it for a spin around the block after swapping sprockets and it seems to feel a lot better. Only way to really know would be to drag race that same quad again and compare results. I'd like to hear what others that have tried this feel about it. Wonder how much I'll gain on top end as well. I dont even know what the top speed was previously though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I understand that the transmission gearing is still the same, but imo it made it feel more rider friendly, and made each gear feel different. It really makes the gearing feel much wider.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The trouble is it makes 1st gear super tall.

Most drag racers start in 2nd

you need to select the correct paddle 21x12x8 6 paddle extreme or 7 paddle hauler, 9-10 paddle glider. Adjust tire pressure according to wetness of sand

8+ paddle haulers or extremes are too much paddle. You will lose 2-3 bike lengths of speed in the top end.
then adjust gearing So you can do 2nd gear launches well

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was at the dunes I did a lot of drag racing. I was more competitive just starting in first gear. It seemed like if I could gain some more time and speed out of at least the first 3 gears I would have done even better. The fastest guy there was on a yfz450 and I was talking to him and he said he always takes off in first. I was trying everything. Tried a 2nd gear launch and it he walked away even worse. He was the only guy on a quad that was consistently beating me out there. Granted it wasn't super busy when I was there.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
When I was at the dunes I did a lot of drag racing. I was more competitive just starting in first gear. It seemed like if I could gain some more time and speed out of at least the first 3 gears I would have done even better. The fastest guy there was on a yfz450 and I was talking to him and he said he always takes off in first. I was trying everything. Tried a 2nd gear launch and it he walked away even worse. He was the only guy on a quad that was consistently beating me out there. Granted it wasn't super busy when I was there.
The kfx is a hard machine to get the gearing right.

Im trying A 13t front sprocket with my new 21” paddles

Hopefully 2nd gear launches are possible and top speed will be the same because these paddles get taller with speed. Unlike molded paddles or paddles with big rims

1 - 5 of 5 Posts