KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey i was convinced to order a 13/38 Sprocket. Im running 21-12-8 Stage 2 buff skat trak 8 paddle haulers, and the below. Someone said i was running too much paddles but i dont think so. It ran good with stock gears, but the front sprocket broke. I ride dunes, and i heard that when im in fourth everyone else would still be in second is this true??? And all we do is straight up drag over here their is sand but no hills and stuff...

FCI
PC5
HMF with FMF powerbomb
Dyno tuned

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
what are you mods? I have the big three with 6 paddle 21 inch haulers. I run a 15 tooth sprocket and I like it. with a 14 tooth front I could probably pull 3rd a little better up hills but other than that a 14t front should be fine.

I find myself starting to taper off in 3rd when Im about 500 feet up a steep dune.

I would just put a 14t back on if I was you. and 8 paddle haulers are fine. you would have a little less drag for drag racing with a 6 paddle but 8 paddle haulers are fine for just duning around.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Im not sure how to set up a bike for dune riding, but i do know that 13/38 its a lot of torque, gears go by quick and you have no top end... If you don't like 14/38 which is stock, and need more top end then try a 15 front. That should give you good top end, if not satisfy then also go with a 37 on the rear and that would give you even more top end.
You can't really go by what ppl tell you because everyone has different mods and ride differently and in different places. Try different set ups and see what you like.

Remember, the higher you go on the front, the more top end.
The lower you go on the rear, the more top end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And if the 13 dont work out ill ride it like that for now and then ill order a new 14 sprocket or 15
I went with the 13 cause i start out in 1st when i take off... I want to do 2nd so that why cause when i take off in second it barely bogs and then stands up...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
you will have bad top end with a 13 tooth just so you know. so if you plan on racing its not gonna go well.

on like the OP said your goin to have a ton of low end torque and will be shifting a lot

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You really think it will be bad??? We only race i think 300ft... If it ends up being stupid bad ill have another order for rocky coming soon...

·
Registered
477 Posts
With a 13 yes its easier to get off in second, but you are going to run out of gear by the 1/8 mark or 200ft...

With the 14, you felt like you needed more top end or bottom end??
What are your mods?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im running the big three (FCI, HMF with FMF powerbomb, PCV) I wanted it to have a little more low end so i didnt have to risk to neutral out. But my buddys honda would beat me when he would take of first through third i was next to him he hits 5 and he is gone so i wanted some more top end and low end. I dont think i can get both by changing sprockets so if i need too ill order the 14 sprocket back and get some KX cams. Im sure that will do the trick if needed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well top speed wise, if you are hitting the Rev limit in 5th gear, any power upgrades like cams won't make you faster top speed. Only gears will change that. But if you aren't racing while red lining than kx cams should help distribute the power to different locations.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
if you go with kx cams go with a 15 tooth front.

the kx cams add power through the whole powerband and that includes the low end. with a 15t front and kx cams you will actually have a chance at beating your friend or atleast getting close.

i wil be installing stage 2 hotcams soon and plan on staying with 15/38 gearing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya i was pretty confident i would beat him if i got cams. Because he just has the honda trx 450 with the HRC kit and sparks exhaust. The HRC kit is like having kx cams basically. I'm making like 3 less hp then he is... I might have to order the 14 or 15 but for now i think the 13 will be fine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Oh yea dude, you will not beat him if he has cams. You gone have to get a set of cams too, and go with a 15t.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know i would beat him with cams for sure cause he wasn't beating me bad. I had a friend had a stock honda put cams and he couldnt ride as could as the friend with the hrc kit but he was next to me with just cams. My stuff came in today gonna put the back sprocket on tomorrow then wait to put the front sprocket cause i have to get my frame welded cause where the brake is connect to the frame broke so ill get that welded and when im their ill just use their impact to switch the front sprocket then i have to replace the screws that help me tighten my chain cause their junk can barely get em off so i have things to do tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts