KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a 08 450r. Stock internals. Has FCI, HMF exhaust full system I believe. Cant tell if the header is stock or not. Has a wiseco piggy back controler. Friend of mine brought it to me because it was running like crap. He put the FCI on it. Already had the exhaust and tuner on it. His son washed it and thats when all this started happening. FI light was on and the code says it is the water temp sensor. Also when you turn the key on the fan automatically comes on and stays on. I put a cheapy chinese temp sensor on it and that made it run a lil better. Fan still comes on all the time. I told him since its got the FCI on it to get a procom since I have an 08 kfx 450r and thats what I have on mine and love it. Put the new procom on his atv and the fan stops coming on but it is getting way too much fuel now even when I adjust to all the settings on the procom. I put a new plug in it and it is just black. FI light is still on too. So I started just swapping parts since I have the exact quad. Tried my water temp sensor, map sensor, air temp sensor and still runs like crap. It mainly idles real rich but you can rev it up higher and it runs pretty good. I even swapped to my procom unit and still runs like crap. A few times I couldnt even get it to start. Its just dumping fuel. I can hear the fuel pump coming on. I told him to order a stock kawi water temp sensor just in case. I put the stock ecu back on it and runs way better. I need to adjust the tps next. I have the adapter coming. Im at a loss. I have no idea what to do next. He did say the previous owner had a bag of fuses in the stock airbox and my friend noticed that the fuses got stuck in the throttle body butterfly so IDK if that couldve messed up the tps adjustment. I did check the butterfly and it wasnt bent. Charging system seems to be working also.

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
Does the DFI code the water temp sensor...? If so, replace with an OEM sensor you mentioned (just in case)..!

Also if anything is in the butterfly preventing it to fully close, then yes it will cause an error fault, fan will come on & will run rich..

Check/test your TPS voltages when the adapter comes in..!

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the DFI code the water temp sensor...? If so, replace with an OEM sensor you mentioned (just in case)..!

Also if anything is in the butterfly preventing it to fully close, then yes it will cause an error fault, fan will come on & will run rich..

Check/test your TPS voltages when the adapter comes in..!
I got it working. The orange wire (Water Temp Sensor) going into the ecu was acutally popped out of the harness and wasnt making contact in the ecu so it wasnt sensing a signal from the temp sensor. Someone has been working on this thing before my friend bought it. I do need to adjust the tps. I have the adaptor harness coming so i can readjust it. Thanks for the reply Dust Devil!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts