KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve tried crossing the solenoid when it does this but nothing. When the bike cools down it will fire right back up. Any help would be nice

·
Super Moderator
9,859 Posts
When it gets hot not hart
Welcome to the forum...!!!

Valves needs to be checked & adjusted...!!

Valve Clearance: between cam and valve lifter
Standard:
Exhaust 0.17 ∼ 0.22 mm (0.0067 ∼ 0.0087 in.)
Inlet 0.10 ∼ 0.15 mm (0.0039 ∼ 0.0059 in.)
If the valve clearance is not within the specified range,
adjust it.

Here's a video to explain

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum...!!!

Valves needs to be checked & adjusted...!!

Valve Clearance: between cam and valve lifter
Standard:
Exhaust 0.17 ∼ 0.22 mm (0.0067 ∼ 0.0087 in.)
Inlet 0.10 ∼ 0.15 mm (0.0039 ∼ 0.0059 in.)
If the valve clearance is not within the specified range,
adjust it.

Here's a video to explain
Where can I find the right filler gauge. Link if possible

·
Super Moderator
9,859 Posts
Where can I find the right filler gauge. Link if possible
(08 kfx450r gets hart and clicks. When pressing the starter button.)

Can you clarify...^^^^^^^

I re-read the title of your first post...Is it...?? gets hard & clicks when pressing the starter button...or gets hot & clicks when pressing the starter button...

If the starter turns the motor slowly...check if the decompression spring fell off the exhaust cam...see picture

When the motor is hot it doesn't start, only when it cools down will it start...Then check the valve clearance...

Here's a like for the best feeler gauges..Bikemaster metric feeler gauge BikeMaster 20-Blade Metric Feeler Gauge Set 173403 | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(08 kfx450r gets hart and clicks. When pressing the starter button.)

Can you clarify...^^^^^^^

I re-read the title of your first post...Is it...?? gets hard & clicks when pressing the starter button...or gets hot & clicks when pressing the starter button...

If the starter turns the motor slowly...check if the decompression spring fell off the exhaust cam...see picture

When the motor is hot it doesn't start, only when it cools down will it start...Then check the valve clearance...

Here's a like for the best feeler gauges..Bikemaster metric feeler gauge BikeMaster 20-Blade Metric Feeler Gauge Set 173403 | eBay
It gets hot and only clicks when pressing the starter button. When it sold down it will fire right back up. I’ve checked the decompression spring. Could it be the starter when it gets hot? I wouldn’t think it would be the valves because it don’t even try to turn over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It gets hot and only clicks when pressing the starter button. When it sold down it will fire right back up. I’ve checked the decompression spring. Could it be the starter when it gets hot? I wouldn’t think it would be the valves because it don’t even try to turn over.
When it cools down it will fire right back up.

·
Super Moderator
9,859 Posts
When it cools down it will fire right back up.
What's your battery's voltage motor off...? 12.8v standard...
What's your battery's charging voltage, motor running..?..With the head lights ON.. 13.5 v~14.7 v depending on RPMs see picture

If the battery voltage & charging system is good...The starter solenoid/30 amp fuse contacts are clean, dry & no corrosion...

I'm thinking your starters one way clutch on the crank shaft is seizing causing the starter to remain engaged/turning while the motor is running...!

Can you start the motor & check if the starter is turning without pressing the starter button...?

see picture for the stare's oneway clutch location...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It also has a rattling sound that only comes when rode hard. I can be easy on it and it won’t make that sound. I’ve checked the decompression springs and timing chain. What else can it be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know until you troubleshoot...
Possibly a battery problem, charging system problem or a bad wiring connection...

If it the starter One way clutch you'll need to replace it...!
Also can you hook me up with a service manual.

·
Super Moderator
9,859 Posts
Also can you hook me up with a service manual.
Sure, I need an email address to send the PDF file too..File size is 10MB

Also is the rattling coming from the rear of the starter motor being the exhaust side above the clutch..?..If yes..could be a broken magnets, armature or bad starter brushes...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts