KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been using an 08 KFX450 and haven't experienced any issues. One day, while it was being driven, it just died and wouldn't start. I have been reading on the forums for solutions, and have checked fuses, main fuse, relays and rollover sensor and no luck. It does not make the priming noise when I turn the quad on, and the starter works fine, but fuel pump seems to be not working properly. What could the issue be?

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
Have you run jumpers from the battery to the fuel pump to test the pump motor or jumper the W/R to W/BK at the relay...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Issue Found

Did what you recommended, and got absolutely no feedback. Looks like the fuel pump is bad. I removed the fuel pump, but haven't disassembled it yet. Anybody know how to disassemble one? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Duster did a good write up. Do a search and you will find it. It is an easy fix.

Pumps and filters are only 20-40 bucks in eBay too

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel Pump Filter

I tried cleaning out the fuel pump filter so I could re-use it..is the blackish stuff inside of it some sort of bag to hold all the trash or is it the trash in the filter? Can I re-use this filter?

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Take your main plug at your main fuse off and clean it real good and put it back together.

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
I tried cleaning out the fuel pump filter so I could re-use it..is the blackish stuff inside of it some sort of bag to hold all the trash or is it the trash in the filter? Can I re-use this filter?
Test the pump motor to the battery to make sure it's working before you re assemble...!

Also make sure your battery is fully charged to 12.8 volts standard...!!!

Yes the blackish material is the trapped debris in the filter & you need to unclog/clean to re-use it, Carb cleaner will dissolve plastic & might damage the filter, so try brake cleaner instead...!

New filter is white...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh OK. Well I just took the motor out of the fuel pump and directly hooked it up to a battery and seemed to work fine. When it was all put together though, it wouldn't make the priming noise when turning on. Could it be clogged filter? Don't really know what the issue is at this point...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Does your dash lights come on just no prime from pump? If so then check the plug at the main fuse like I said and see what happens.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Contact cleaner. That plug being dirty may be it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed!

My dad and I were checking it out today, and my dad noticed one of the fuel pump fuse wires was ripped. We got it soldered and taped and now it runs great! Thanks for all of your guys's help! (Pic of ripped wire)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Do yourself a favor and spend an hour wrapping all those wires. it will help prevent issues like this.

I did one day and don't regret it. Found wires frayed one almost in half.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts