KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy one for my grandson. Any issues or things I should be looking for. Are these a reliable quad? Have never had one or know someone who does so I'm wondering would you buy one?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Looking to buy one for my grandson. Any issues or things I should be looking for. Are these a reliable quad? Have never had one or know someone who does so I'm wondering would you buy one?
mechanically very reliable

change the oil with quality oil often.

I suggest wrapping the wire harness to prevent shorting issues in several places

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I wanted a maintenance free quad, I would not buy one. This is a very high maintenance bike and I have to work on it or do something every single time I ride it. Parts break and get old and these are not cheap to repair since they are no longer made.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I went and picked it up today so time will tell how reliable it is. I can say the conditions today were brutal, but the quad didn't miss a beat. Grandson will be home tomorrow, can't wait to surprise him with it:)

Blue99stroker, any chance you could share the common rub areas?

IMG_20201107_164614.jpg

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Well I went and picked it up today so time will tell how reliable it is. I can say the conditions today were brutal, but the quad didn't miss a beat. Grandson will be home tomorrow, can't wait to surprise him with it:)

Blue99stroker, any chance you could share the common rub areas?

View attachment 28606
Tail light wiring near the air box

the fan and fuel pump fuses love to pop off their holders and rub around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Are these a premium gas only quad? Also what kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting in the woods. We ride forest service roads and my Raptors get about 110 miles out of a 2.9 gallon tank. Was wondering if we were going to have to carry fuel to get the same distance with the Kfx?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Are these a premium gas only quad? Also what kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting in the woods. We ride forest service roads and my Raptors get about 110 miles out of a 2.9 gallon tank. Was wondering if we were going to have to carry fuel to get the same distance with the Kfx?
91 only. Although a cooler day and not high rpm would likely be fine with 89.

I want to say around 65-70 miles to a tank.

Your going to want a IMS 3.7gallon tank for longer rides. I love you mine and never worry about running out anymore

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes 65-70 would mean having to carry a couple gallons just to get the same distance as the Raptors and sometimes we carry an extra gallon even for them. Sounds like the IMS will put me at about the same distance per tank.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yes 65-70 would mean having to carry a couple gallons just to get the same distance as the Raptors and sometimes we carry an extra gallon even for them. Sounds like the IMS will put me at about the same distance per tank.
Probably right around 100-110 miles with the IMS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts