KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im not sure if i am posting this in the right place or not.. forgive me if this isnt the spot but so im new here posting but been visiting the site now for a little while now and acquired 2 kfx450r's both 2008.. 1 needs put all together and the other is complete and ALMOST running... So its a monster energy kfx and it cranks with the button but wont start. Acts like it wants to fire like its got spark and compression when i shoot ether thru the throttle body but never fires up.. Fuel pump does not kick on when i turn the key and even when cranking, the injector will not do anything not click or nothing. I know how to produce the codes and im getting 1.1 (1 long flash then 1 quick flash) and code 4.1..... iv swapped the vehicle down sensor for a known good one, iv tried 4 different cdi's (3 of mine 1 of my buddys), tried 3 different injectors, put on a known good factory handlebar kill switch, went through wiring no burnt wires, swapped throttle sensor with another one not guarenteed to work, changed the whole stator/cover/crank sensor assembly, swapped a bunch of relays and no blown fuses, i know the temp sensor must work cus the fan comes on with it unplugged, might be missing something but i just cant figure out what is keeping this bike from running. Im not sure if theres been motor work done or not but its got a power bomb head pipe and a lexx max silencer. Any help and ideas would be very much appreciated and i will get back with the solution so anyone else with a similar problem may get some help from this. Thx yall

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum....!!

OK!.. !

Make sure your battery is fully charged 12.8v standard...!!!

Make sure there's a little slack in the throttle cable or could cause an DFI error...!!!

Do your headlights work & is the start/stop switch in the running position...??

Can you direct wire your fuel pump to the battery to make sure it's working...???

Check the output voltage of the vehicle down sensor...See picture

Check the TPS/throttle positioning sensor to be in range...see picture

Also check the valve clearance...
Valve Clearance: between cam and valve lifter
Standard:
Exhaust 0.17 ∼ 0.22 mm (0.0067 ∼ 0.0087 in.)
Inlet 0.10 ∼ 0.15 mm (0.0039 ∼ 0.0059 in.)
If the valve clearance is not within the specified range,
adjust it.

.post your finding...!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok first off i want to say thank you Dust Devil for coming in on this post, iv read alot of your responses on other peoples' posts on here where they have been in trouble and you helped them get their quads fixed countless times so i am very happy it is you helping me on mine. As far as the valve clearances i havent checked them, would the quad start on ether? Seems like theres alot of 'backwards' pressure blowing out of the injector hole on the throttle body. iv not yet tested the tps and vds.. i have a fluke digital multimeter but no special attachments such as peak voltage adapters. i will post back frequently, the 4 wheelers is kinda what i do and i do make money on some of them. i live on top of a big a** mountain in eastern kentucky so riding 4 wheelers everywhere is possible without the law saying no. Very rural out here. i have built a few bikes and was mainly a polaris guy (i got predator 500s) the 1 i built is a 560 big bore. Got a couple sportsmans and now a couple kfx's.. LOL i buy 2 of the same bikes but if i ever have a problem i can swap parts. Just a little background on me lol. So i do ride ALOT and am fairly seasoned as an atv mechanic. Will test tps and vds as previously instructed. ile try to do any troubleshooting as quickly as possible as i have a family and gota be the father as well as the mechanic.. Thanks so much man for being on here for me hopefully after its said and done, a few others may read this and be able to fix their machines...

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
The DFI error codes are caused by open or closed shorts...Check the continuity of the harness wires for any bad or broken connection from the ECU to the sensor causing the errors & the OHMs resistance of the sensor themselves ...!

You'll need to check for power 12v to frame ground on the Y/R wire that feed the ignition coil & fuel pump relay...

I also included the DFI error codes see picture

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so iv had alot going on at home with the school thing for my daughter and just life.. So i ordered the throttle sensor adapter from partzilla ($32) it will be here in just under a week hopefully.. Can i use that adapter to find out if the sensor is bad? or is that just for adjusting it after the bike is running? Either way i got it coming.. i did however notice that at the connector that plugs into the fuel injector there is a small area of a bare wire right up to the connector so i put some tape over it and no change. i did just purchase a new battery for my 560 predator i will use whenever im working on the kfx.. the battery is one of them super start batteries from oriellys auto parts. i think them are about as good as u can get. $100 battery tho.. i do have another throttle body but i took the tps off of it and no luck but is it possible that there could be an issue with the throttle body itself causing these issues?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts