Rad Parts extended wheel studs failure - Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com
Wheels/Tires A perfect tire/wheel combination is a necessity, discuss tires and wheels here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

View BobDz's Photo Gallery(0)
Rad Parts extended wheel studs failure

After picking out the wheels I liked, and reading on this board how the factory studs are short for Alba wheels, I purchased a set of Rad Parts extended wheel studs. Installation was very easy with a press, took longer to remove all the hubs. Installing the wheels, I started at 35lbs, had a stud fail at the flange before I even got near 35lbs. Wrote the company about the problem and was told they had a "few" that got through that were knurled incorrectly. Was promised they would replace them. Three weeks go by (and a ride), received nothing. Ended up purchasing four more studs from them. They are different in color but look the same. Replaced all four today, had one snap in the same place. I am not feeling confident with there product and I'm out $85. I will be contacting them again to see what they say. Please note the factory wheel torque is 58lbs. I did confirm my torque wrenches with a digital torque adapter thinking my wrenches were the problem. Thoughts on how the hubs would hold up drilling them (and the wheels) to a 12mm stud would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	104_1901.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	24356  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:18 PM

View blue99stroker's Photo Gallery(0)
Are the oems too short when you remove the washer and just use the lug nut?

I have to do that with my ITP rims with my sand tires. No issues been doing it for years

08 KFX450r- DASA, FCI, Stg 2 Hotcams, Wiseco FI, Dynatek Coil

Race Tech dual rate front springs, GT thunder XC Link and Race tech spring, LSR +2 Arms and LSR Axle

Poly Case Saver, Streamline Stabilizer, PRM Skidplates, Pro Armor Bumpers, Tusk Heel Guards, IMS 3.7 tank, 6K HID

Next up: Dasa Port Job, JE Pro 12 12.8 piston
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 AM

View Duster's Photo Gallery(0)
I was too chicken to buy studs from any where, afraid they would be China bolts. So I robbed some from used hubs off other quads with longer studs.

CIRCUS RUNAWAYS RACING
#919 KFX450R

2016 Sponsors:
KB Motorsports, Wicked Thunder, Fox Shox, Hiper, Rekluse, TBA?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
Are the oems too short when you remove the washer and just use the lug nut?

I have to do that with my ITP rims with my sand tires. No issues been doing it for years
I find I always error on the side of safety. I replaced the nuts that don't use a washer and is longer and seal at the end. And yes, I didn't feel safe with the length of the exposed threads with the Alba wheels.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
I was too chicken to buy studs from any where, afraid they would be China bolts. So I robbed some from used hubs off other quads with longer studs.
According to them, they are made here in the US. I've never had this problem before. I do own another ATV that came with 3/8 studs that I converted to 12mm, but the hubs are larger and the area has a lot more metal. Also, the aftermarket wheels I use are drilled for 12mm (Alba's are not).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Wheels/Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in