A-Arm & Suspension upgrades - Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com
Suspension/Steering/Chassis Discuss major suspension, steering stem, chassis and similar modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

View JerryC's Photo Gallery(0)
A-Arm & Suspension upgrades

I am looking for a new A-Arm & Front/rear suspension for my quad.. I love the look of the +2 a-arms and think a wider front end will help me with my woods trails.. I am not a racer and do not intend to be one, I just am looking for the most stability and comfort (suspension) for the money. I am trying not to spend an arm and a leg on this setup but if anyone has any info for me that would be great. If you feel that +2 a-arms are the wrong way to go then please let me know as well. I am new to the KFX family. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:13 PM

View blue99stroker's Photo Gallery(0)
+2 arms and revalve Spring of the front shocks will in you about 900 bucks.

Spacers are ok on the rear. Especially if your just trail Riding and not hitting big jumps. they only run about 70 bucks

08 KFX450r- DASA, FCI, Stg 2 Hotcams, Wiseco FI, Dynatek Coil

Race Tech dual rate front springs, GT thunder XC Link and Race tech spring, LSR +2 Arms and LSR Axle

Poly Case Saver, Streamline Stabilizer, PRM Skidplates, Pro Armor Bumpers, Tusk Heel Guards, IMS 3.7 tank, 6K HID

Next up: Dasa Port Job, JE Pro 12 12.8 piston
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the response.. Should i stay away from any aftermarket suspension upgrades such as Fox?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:22 PM

View blue99stroker's Photo Gallery(0)
Fox is great. But they are pricey.

I suggested revalve and respring because they are cheaper. Can be done for 500 bucks.

08 KFX450r- DASA, FCI, Stg 2 Hotcams, Wiseco FI, Dynatek Coil

Race Tech dual rate front springs, GT thunder XC Link and Race tech spring, LSR +2 Arms and LSR Axle

Poly Case Saver, Streamline Stabilizer, PRM Skidplates, Pro Armor Bumpers, Tusk Heel Guards, IMS 3.7 tank, 6K HID

Next up: Dasa Port Job, JE Pro 12 12.8 piston
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

For $700 more I can get brand new FOX front shocks.. worth it?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:44 PM

View nicelyb's Photo Gallery(0)
This question gets asked a lot. Aftermarket suspension is great if it is set-up properly and you used parts that compliment each other. Revalves and a set of aftermarket adjustable upper a arms will work great if set-up properly. Throwing a set of fancy fox shocks on a pair of Walsh a arms isn't gonna be a magical ride without the extra time and effort and possibly dollars to have them set up for you. Is the trails you ride tight or more open and flowing? Wider front end in tight trails is probably not the hot set-up. Suspension is an area that you normally get more if you pay more. Each part has its own pros and cons. A part might be the hot ticket for JD Performance +2 arms but not good on Walsh +2s. Wheel offset will play a part in handling, a arm length will obviously play a part, so will caster/camber and toe settings. If you have your stock suspension adjusted to its full potential and your still not happy, then I would look into aftermarket parts. Throwing money blindly at a quad without knowing how the part will work isn't gonna make you happy for long. Lesson learned by me the hard way.

Obviously these are just my opinions.

2017 2018Sponsors

O'Neal Racewear
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:46 PM

View KawiRider218's Photo Gallery(0)
JerryC,

I went through the same set of decisions over the course of several years. If you don't plan on racing, I would consider keeping the stock a-arms and get your front shocks re-valved and have dual or triple rate springs added. I had Race Tech do mine and they were really awesome for just riding trails. Price will be about $500-600 but is much less than purchasing aftermarket shocks. Stock A-arms are great because you can always find cheap replacements on Ebay or Craigslist.

NicelyB is spot on and trust me when I say this cause I ate his roost non-stop for about 2 years when I first got my KFX450 many years ago (in fact he took me to my first XC race in Cowpens, SC back in 2009). Start with the factory shock re-valve/re-spring and give it some time to see if it improves anything. If you are unhappy or feel like you need more, you can always add aftermarket shocks and/or upper a-arms only as NicelyB suggested, or even get the full deal with new shocks and a-arms. If you are only into trail riding and don't plan on racing, consider keeping aftermarket shocks stock length and a-arms stock width or +1 versus getting long travel shocks and +2/+3 a-arms (keeps the quad narrow for the trails and is slightly cheaper on your wallet).

For reference, I run X2 Exit Front Shocks and JD Performance MGC +1 A-Arms. My rear shock is stock; I've made adjustments over the last few years to suit my riding style and that's worked for me so far.

Just my opinion.

2008 KFX450R
"Self-Sponsored" (just means I am broke all the time!)

Parts that I use and trust:
Precision Clamps, Houser Stem, Exit Shocks, DWT Beadlock Wheels, Maxxis XC Tires, Fuel Customs Intake, Power Commander FCI, Pro Circuit Ti-4 Exhuast, Renthal Sprockets, D.i.D Chain, Tusk Heel Guards, Spider Grips, Kawasaki Factory Frame Skid, Armadillo Swing-arm Skid & Grab Bar, Cycra ProBend, Engine Ice, Mobil 1 & Pump Gas!

Last edited by KawiRider218; 01-03-2017 at 11:20 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelyb View Post
This question gets asked a lot. Aftermarket suspension is great if it is set-up properly and you used parts that compliment each other. Revalves and a set of aftermarket adjustable upper a arms will work great if set-up properly. Throwing a set of fancy fox shocks on a pair of Walsh a arms isn't gonna be a magical ride without the extra time and effort and possibly dollars to have them set up for you. Is the trails you ride tight or more open and flowing? Wider front end in tight trails is probably not the hot set-up. Suspension is an area that you normally get more if you pay more. Each part has its own pros and cons. A part might be the hot ticket for JD Performance +2 arms but not good on Walsh +2s. Wheel offset will play a part in handling, a arm length will obviously play a part, so will caster/camber and toe settings. If you have your stock suspension adjusted to its full potential and your still not happy, then I would look into aftermarket parts. Throwing money blindly at a quad without knowing how the part will work isn't gonna make you happy for long. Lesson learned by me the hard way.

Obviously these are just my opinions.
I respect your opinion here. The trails I will be riding are very wide and I also will be doing some dun/dirt trails as well, also wide open. Thanks!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiRider218 View Post
JerryC,

I went through the same set of decisions over the course of several years. If you don't plan on racing, I would consider keeping the stock a-arms and get your front shocks re-valved and have dual or triple rate springs added. I had Race Tech do mine and they were really awesome for just riding trails. Price will be about $500-600 but is much less than purchasing aftermarket shocks. Stock A-arms are great because you can always find cheap replacements on Ebay or Craigslist.

NicelyB is spot on and trust me when I say this cause I ate his roost non-stop for about 2 years when I first got my KFX450 many years ago (in fact he took me to my first XC race in Cowpens, SC back in 2009). Start with the factory shock re-valve/re-spring and give it some time to see if it improves anything. If you are unhappy or feel like you need more, you can always add aftermarket shocks and/or upper a-arms only as NicelyB suggested, or even get the full deal with new shocks and a-arms. If you are only into trail riding and don't plan on racing, consider keeping aftermarket shocks stock length and a-arms stock width or +1 versus getting long travel shocks and +2/+3 a-arms (keeps the quad narrow for the trails and is slightly cheaper on your wallet).

For reference, I run X2 Exit Front Shocks and JD Performance MGC +1 A-Arms. My rear shock is stock; I've made adjustments over the last few years to suit my riding style and that's worked for me so far.

Just my opinion.
Awesome brother, I appreciate your response as well. I will take this info in for sure!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:54 PM

View nicelyb's Photo Gallery(0)
For the type of riding you are doing, a set of +2 arms may be the hot ticket. A set of wheels with 4-1 offset (very common) plus the +2 arms will give you increased stability without having to get new brake lines, etc.. I would avoid wheel spacers at all cost if you plan to do anything other than flat track racing (my opinion) standard travel revalves or aftermarket shocks will be a nice addition too. I like triple rate springs on traditional coil over shocks more than dual rate springs. I currently run Fox air shocks but they are a pain to get set-up at first but they are easy to maintain after that. A lot of folks buy parts to achieve something that there stock parts could do if adjusted properly. Make sure you know how the adjustments work and how each effects the others. I would hate for you to spend a bunch of money on something that your stock stuff could do just as well.

Keep us posted on your progress.

2017 2018Sponsors

O'Neal Racewear

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Suspension/Steering/Chassis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in