KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

Seen a guy take his LTR down to the frame just to wash it?

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  neverstopwheelie 
#1 ·
So i was washing my quad after my moto and i seen this guy take his LTR all the way down to the frame just to wash it! Is that necessary?

#2 ·
Sounds a bit excessive.. I can understand taking off the plastic.. Are you sure that was his reasoning?

#3 ·
Yes my buddy said that he does that after every moto!!!!!! Thats a lot of work!

#4 ·
Wow.... Haha

#7 ·
Yea I take my plastics off every time but that is just so I can polish the aluminum and tight area's I cant get to with them on. But that much disassembly would tend to ware out bolts and the rapid succession of doing it increases the chances of leaving bolts loose or forgetting to put parts on. It would be a good practice to find damaged parts but the con's definitely out way the pro's.

#8 ·
i take mine off every time but i hit it with a low pressure spray. i dont want to corrode any wires or anything. then when i am done with that, i dry it off with shop towels (plastics and seat only really) but before i dry it, i hit it with a shot of turtle wax ice, and let me tell you that stuff can polish a turd! looks BEAUTIFUL afterwards. i use that stuff on my goggles, my truck, my honda, my dishes in the house... lol. try it out!

#9 ·
I take my bike a part every 3 to 4 races to clean it, if its a real muddy race it comes completely down to the frame. You wouldbe supriesd how dirty your radiator is no matter how much you clean that thing with it attached to the bike. Same goes for your suspension linkages.

I take the wheels plastics gas tank, radiator, air box off after every race to clean the bike. Now sometimes I dont have time for all that so I skip a step or two here or there.

#10 ·
I take my bike a part every 3 to 4 races to clean it, if its a real muddy race it comes completely down to the frame. You wouldbe supriesd how dirty your radiator is no matter how much you clean that thing with it attached to the bike. Same goes for your suspension linkages.

I take the wheels plastics gas tank, radiator, air box off after every race to clean the bike. Now sometimes I dont have time for all that so I skip a step or two here or there.

call me the b word if you want... but when it comes to getting my bike muddy.... i stay home. i would much rather get my truck filthy than my bike for some stupid reason lol.

#11 ·
I give those guys props instead of smoking & joking keeping the machine in top condition! But a clean bike isn't always best maintained.
Should be careful to not cause more harm than good. Getting water or dirt into critical areas unless you are in a clean enviroment, have spare grease & fasteners? Most lock nuts are designed for one time use & still should be torqued.
People get pressure wash crazy an force water behind oil & electrical seals etc.

#13 ·
My bike has never been muddy.. A little dirty but not mud caked. People ask how the motor is so clean.. Well its because i dont let mud or anything bake on it. Maintnence does wonders. Never gets put away dirty

#15 ·
Yea but its a YFZ hell those are barely worth cleaning much less tearing apart. Were talking about how to clean a real quad. lol jk

#16 ·
Haha yea i keep mine clean once a week i wash it and if it gets really muddy then i will wash it the next day but keeping them waxed and polished will just help in the futute when you go to sell "if it would ever happen" and i love it when you get caught in the rain and the rain beats all the mudd off and everybody elses is just wet

#19 ·
Looks like someones been having fun!

#20 ·
something along the lines of 10" of rain in 5 days will do that.. it was XC racing, but still.. it was insane.. it rained insanely hard while we were racing too, it got so bad they wound up just calling off the whole race.

#21 ·
hah thats just more of a challenge then

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.