KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

MX what gear do you start in????

10K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  KB Motorsports 
#1 ·
Like the title what gear do you start in? Cant beat the hondas off the start need help lol :(

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Pretty sure 2nd gear for everyone. Including bikes.

#8 ·
ya, me too. what sprocket combo are you running? I use 15/36

#9 · (Edited)
2nd till right as your on the gate, or shortly after your over it(like tenths of a second over) shift up to 3rd so it will lug down a small bit, but you will have less wheel spin. Thats what works for me I have a stock motor with big 4 and pulled both holeshots 2 weeks ago, against 2 mild built newer yfz's and another kfx that has the big 3 and head work. I honestly think a lot of getting that number one spot off the start though is a mentality. I used to never get holeshots then I started last year telling my self I was going to be the first one to the first turn and I was getting quite a few, some from really shitty gate picks.

also I'm running 15front and stock rear.

vids from those races
2nd moto(this one has some good racing in it)

1st moto

Reactions: JerryC
#18 ·
2nd till right as your on the gate, or shortly after your over it(like tenths of a second over) shift up to 3rd so it will lug down a small bit, but you will have less wheel spin. Thats what works for me I have a stock motor with big 4 and pulled both holeshots 2 weeks ago, against 2 mild built newer yfz's and another kfx that has the big 3 and head work. I honestly think a lot of getting that number one spot off the start though is a mentality. I used to never get holeshots then I started last year telling my self I was going to be the first one to the first turn and I was getting quite a few, some from really shitty gate picks.

also I'm running 15front and stock rear.

vids from those races
2nd moto(this one has some good racing in it)
KAMS 2013 round 1 moto 2 @ Inman mx - YouTube

1st moto
KAMS @ Inman mx round 1 2013 - YouTube
oh cool someone else is from Kansas. That guy to your left was quick...

#10 ·
I always start in second with 15-36 gearing. Usually if I cant beat a honda out the hole I know its time to get new rings and set the valves.lol

#14 ·
I run Xc so it's dead engine. Apples to oranges but I use first. And I agree for sure with the mindset thing. You gotta be in the zone prepared to kill someone lol when I first started running in school boy there was always 30+ kids and I was a bit intimidated at first. Not that I didn't try but I think I actually subconsciously didnt let myself go for holeshots. After I got more ballsy I noticed I was top three or five all the time then I finally nabbed my first one, had 25 300EXs and raptor 250s behind me it was a good day on my old blaster hahaha also a few weeks ago at Evansville HareScramble, I got second off the start with 43 people on our row. (Stock gearing) A Honda just barely tucked in front...I have the gopro if I ever fix my labtop

#15 ·
Deff change your gear ratio! your prob getting ALOT of wheel spinning! I feel that 15/36 with 18" tires is just alittle taller then stock gearing with 20" tires. I may try a 35 tooth sprocket next time.

#19 ·
Heck... how did I miss this thread in the beginning??? lol...

Cody did you ever start pulling them?

If not, email me. I have 2 things you can try... one that I have pinned down and another I don't. I can tell you from my slow/failed dead engine start results that I could have holeshot every time from a live engine start on my old setup... without any doubt. I'd just rather email and save the pissing matches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.