KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

Finally getting my bike cleaned up for MX seasin next spring.

20K views 158 replies 21 participants last post by  Duster 
#1 · (Edited)
Well i finally got a little time to start cleaning, painting, & powder coating a few things on my bike. I just got the front bumper done this morning & i will post other pictures as i get the parts finished.

I thought about doing the center flat black but ended up going brushed aluminum then I'm back lighting it with blue led's.

See less See more
#2 ·

#5 ·
Yea i just ordered tires the other night.

I'm getting my arms, nerfs,& rear grab bar done green. The frame, Swinger, & skids will be blue.

#6 ·
What are you using to mask off when u powder?

#8 ·
Blue does look good! My kfx400 had a blue frame before i powdered it granny smith

#10 ·
I'm using green fine line tape.

My blue will be lighter than yours. Tecata4 blue.

The ITP MXR6 they seemed to be the most popular.

#12 ·
I have herd a lot of good things about them. The only bad i have herd is that they ware out fast but I'm use to that running i-razr's. They ware out fast as hell as you can see.

#14 ·
If you think the irazr's dont last the mxr6 will wear out twice as fast.

As for plastic. I have not buffed it out but to clean it, I used paint thinner (be careful lol) cleans the plastic really good, gets rid of dirt, sticker residue everything.

#13 ·
What are y'all using to buff out your old plastic's.

#15 ·
I got a headlight cleaning kit with the sand paper & buffing compound and used a automotive buffer with it but it is slow going. I just was wandering if there was something faster without all the wet sanding.

#16 ·
I kno heat seals up light scuffs and scratches. Try using heat gun and run back and forth over large surface at a time.. I kno using a lighter finished my plastic after i cut them

#18 · (Edited)
#19 ·
#20 ·
i will tell you one thing you cant get a mechanic in a can

#22 ·
I have tried pretty much all the waxes and sprays. I really like the turtle wax ice it works really well but i need something to cut out the deep scratches. I have found that you can wet sand your plastics just like clear coat paint. I have been working on a piece working my way down from 320grit all the way down to 1200grit and they look really good brought back the factory color and everything but they are still dull so I'm looking for something to bring back the shine. The head light polish works but it is made for hard plastic so they are a little too abrasive for softer plastics and leave fine scratches & swirl marks. I went up to my shop on the hill and got some 3M automotive clear coat buffing compound and a little faster buffer with different stages of pads to try. I'll just need to be careful not to burn my plastic with the faster buffer.

#23 ·
Got my A-Arms finished all but the new decal's and my spindles back from getting competition polished. Now i just lack frame,swing arms,& nerf's

#24 ·

#27 ·
Thanks y'all.

Duster you see now what i was talking about it getting to be too much green and that i need to find a way to work more blue into it? I think i am going to do the blue tie rods and candy blue spindles like we had talked about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.