KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

Finally getting my bike cleaned up for MX seasin next spring.

20K views 158 replies 21 participants last post by  Duster 
#1 · (Edited)
Well i finally got a little time to start cleaning, painting, & powder coating a few things on my bike. I just got the front bumper done this morning & i will post other pictures as i get the parts finished.

I thought about doing the center flat black but ended up going brushed aluminum then I'm back lighting it with blue led's.

See less See more
#61 ·
Clear sticks to everything but those high gloss wheels you mention probably have very fine probably 2000 grit sanding marks in them. The aluminum just supplies the color the clear supplies the high shine once it has been wet sanded and buffed.

#62 ·
Ya.. Wheels like that, not so shiny. Almost look like a machined finish and clear over coat.. Ive had a set of wheels like that on my cobra.. Common on your diesel trucks now days with these black and "chrome" wheels.

#63 ·
Check out Glisten PC from POR 15, read some reviews on it, sounds like good stuff.

#64 ·
i have had people tell me to use por 15 they say its so great and wont wear off even if painted underneath mower decks but i never tried it but i think its worth looking up.

#65 ·
Yeah, really considering leaving the back alone and/or stripping the front hubs too. But if I do them again this winter I am either going to try clear for a base or remove the hubs and bake them a little bit on a low temp.

As for the por 15... I hear good stuff about it all the time. Never tried it. I think I first heard about it working with rifles.

#66 ·
Duster what color are your hubs? I have green pc'ed hubs on the back that i did when i first got my quad and they still look like they did when i first did them.p any how I'm going to Honda hubs so your more than welcome to these.

#68 ·
Thanks! Yea it took a couple hours per side and a lot of Mothers and cutting compound. The Honda hubs are 3/4" wider per side.

#70 ·
I keep the tubing polished it's the rough cast pieces that take all the work. If you are going with the Houser +3/4" xc arms it is a perfect alternative to a axle.

#71 ·
Man your bike is clean. I love it. Coming together beautiful.

#72 ·
Thanks man i really appreciate it. I keep seeing these MX boys with these beautiful quads and i don't have the funds they got to build one. It's taken me nearly a year of buying used cheap, trading parts, refurbishing parts and buying tools to do things i can't afford to pay someone to do for me so it means a lot when people start complimenting me on it because i dang sure got some hours in it.

#74 ·
Just bought a fox podium rear shock for my bike off ebay i will post pictures once it arrives and i get it mounted.

#76 ·
I got my new grab bar in yesterday and got it on. My Fox Podium came the other day but its not the rite length so ended sending it back and got a new one should be here in the next day or so.

#78 ·
Yea my Fox Podium came yesterday but I'm still waiting on my 22's & spinner's to show up.lol :kewl:

#79 ·
I got my new 18" tires today. I still got ten or fifteen things that are coming in the mail. Sprockets, front tires, hand guards, break lines & holders, chain, hand grips, and a few other parts.

#80 ·
It just like christmas when you get something new in the mail!! IMO

#81 · (Edited)
Its better than Christmas. My family put a boycott on buying me quad parts. They said i spend too much money on it all year long.

I got another question. What's the best front tires for mx in 20-6-10 i got the rear now i need to know what to get for the front.

#85 ·
Here it is with tires & grab bar. I know that the kicker still needs shaved down a lot but i just figured i would put it on to see how it worked. Plus i wanted to ride.

#86 ·
Is that the kicker you made? I think it looks good, maybe put some grooves in it where your foot rides on it when you kick it, polish it out and call it good.

#87 · (Edited)
Yea i made that one. I was planning in grooving it where my foot goes but its still a little thick and heavy so i am going to machine some of the mass off of it where i can and still keep the strength.

I been thinking about buying this one and trying it. http://www.directdrivecnc.net/images/4_stroke_cvrs_011.jpg

#89 ·
Yea i made that one. I was planning in grooving it where my foot goes but its still a little thick and heavy so i am going to machine some of the mass off of it where i can and still keep the strength.

I been thinking about buying this one and trying it. http://www.directdrivecnc.net/images/4_stroke_cvrs_011.jpg

I think you could make the one you made look similar to the one you posted in the link. Just round off the edges a little more, drill some small holes along the shaft, groove it for grip on your boot and polish it till it shines like a mirror.

Idk if you'd like the one in the link, it looks shorter and you probably wouldn't have as much leverage when trying to kick it over. Either way, good job fabricating the kicker.

#90 ·
Thanks it looks like more work than it was. I just marked it out on a block aluminum and cut it out on the bandsaw. Yea it does look shorter but i was hoping that it would be enough shorter that i could get my heal on it w/o hitting my heal guards. I could make one like that but would need a pattern to give me a idea on dimensions.

#92 ·
prityboy nice job on your ride it looks great!!!! All the work pays off in the end..what front bumper is that..? And thanks for the comment on my graphics/on the white plastic..didn't think i could do anything to make the bike look any better without buying green plastics...lol i have not seen many kits installed over the white..and man i love the result...looks way better in person.

#94 ·
Thanks guys for all your compliments it really means a lot.

Mitch they are G4 Destroyer graphics. They got them for all the differentcolors & optional number plates. Plus they are about half the price of most complete graphic kits and are extremely high quality.

Matty yea i usually ain't muck on the just plain white but this past year Duster played with mixing up his colors mixing the white with green accents and vice versa and the whit just made the green pop. It gave it a clean look that you just can't get with plain green. Your graphic has the same affect it just makes everything look cleaner and the colors more vibrant. You definitely got a sweet looking bike. I would like to see where you end up with it when its completely done the way you want it. As if any of us will ever be done wrenching on these things.lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.