KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

Counter Shaft Seal Replacement

7K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Joe450R 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, went riding this Sunday and when I returned home I noticed that there was oil around the shifter and behind the front sprocket. Took the sprocket off yesterday and found the issue. Oil is seeping out of the counter shaft seal. Already ordered the new replacement kit from rockymountain and it’ll be here tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has step by step pictures or a video of how to replace the seal? Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here's a thread i posted to help a member awhile back....https://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/general-discussion/17339-glamis-wasn-t-such-great-turnout.html

remove the c-clip & either a strong screwdriver, seal hook or a seal puller to pry the old one out...seal puller https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seal-Pulle...674949?hash=item5d7a4ab545:g:x64AAOSw1btdcxsD

And replace the O-ring, install the shaft sleeve & press the new seal in with your fingers or use a large socket to gently tap the new seal into place if needed...???

Here's a simple video to help

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! My only question is, in all of the videos I’ve seen how to do the replacement, the seal is flush with the case, but on my quad it seems like it’s pushed back and the snap ring is holding the seal itself in. Is that correct?

#7 ·
I recently did mine and that snap ring sucks! The one in the kit is a different design and should be easier to remove
@Dust Devil I recently replaced mine and it came with 2 orings. But i believe I only used one?

#11 ·
I just saw.

It sucks! It took me a solid 30 minutes.

You need someone there to help.

When you get tension off the snap ring you have to get something behind it to work it out.

It is not fun at all.

Once the snap ring is off get some good needle nose pliers.

Hold onto the spacer tight and pull out hard. It is hard to get off. Lube the new oil seal before sliding it in. It makes it easier

And use the new snap ring with the cutouts! Should be much easier to remove

#12 ·
I didn’t want to pry anything up against the side of the case to bend the snap ring out. I tried pulling the spacer out first to give myself more room for the snap ring but it wouldn’t budge. What’s the order of taking it apart? Bend snap ring, seal, spacer? Or snap ring, spacer and then seal?

#13 ·
You have to remove the snap ring first.

It’s a giant pain in the ass.

You need an extra set of hands with a small screwdriver to get in behind the snap ring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.