KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

Higher octane?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  booterskuggs 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I recently have seen my friend using 110 octane in his bike from a close by station at $5 gal. Stuff smells great obv and I would let mind running it in the quad if it won’t hurt. For how little I ride I’m not too worried about spending the money for it even if gains are little just love the smell. Quad is quite heavily modded I’ll list the mods if need be just let me know. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks

#2 ·
Yes...! you can run higher octane in your motor..

You don't gain HP from high octane,...It's for Higher compression motors like 13:1 & higher...High octane raises the flash point of the fuel to prevent detonation/pre-ignition to occur that's blows up motors...

#3 ·
Alrighty then I will put some in my next tank and see how it goes. I greatly appreciate the help!

#4 ·
While you don’t need the higher octane rating...I’ve heard of some guys seeing small gains due to better quality fuel.

Any truth to this @Dust Devil ?

Of course anything without ethanol is better...

#7 · (Edited)
yes..better additive, cleaner burning in the higher grade thus higher price tag, there's contaminates if it pump gas though?.. No contaminates if shipped directly to you in 5 gal pails or 55 gal drums...

Here's an idea of the selection of additives, octane & blends for your style of racing & engine build...expensive at $85.00 for 5 gals or $17.00 a gal VP fuels https://vpracingfuels.com/product-category/fuels/racing-fuels/motorcycle-atv/mxsxoff-road/

#5 ·
Also, I’ve been warned by some older guys who have had muscle cars in the past to watch out for the gas being leaded or not. I have never heared this being brought up ever before as I’m sure it’s the same as what’s out the pump. Any input?

#6 ·
Leaded isn’t an issue unless your using an auto tune unit.

Lead just kills the A/F sensor

#8 ·
Are the contaminates any different than what’s already in the 93 pump gas I put in it? I would love to use the vp gas but that’s just a lot more expensive than I would like to pay lol but it leaves me with the question on why the marathons pump gas is 110 octane for $5/gal. If it’s no different than the pump gas than what I already put in it then I’m totally ok with using it just not 100% sure if that’s true

#9 ·
Unless your running a higher compression you are wasting your money and possibly hurting your performance. Higher octane actually burns slower than lower octane So I wouldn't waste your time with higher octane without compression mods

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.