450 running rich - Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com
General Discussion Talk about anything on your mind here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

View jpeltier's Photo Gallery(0)
450 running rich

Hello i am a new owner of a 2008 kfx 450 and she is all stock. when riding it yesterday i opened it up and when i went to slow down and pulled the clutch in, it just killed on me. The guy that was riding with me said that when i got on it, I had black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I am thinking i am running rich, but could be wrong. Has anyone ever had this issue or came across someone who did? thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 PM

View blue99stroker's Photo Gallery(0)
Have you pulled the plug to see if it’s black/fouled?

Might just need the idle turned up a bit

08 KFX450r- DASA, FCI, Stg 2 Hotcams, Wiseco FI, Dynatek Coil

Race Tech dual rate front springs, GT thunder XC Link and Race tech spring, LSR +2 Arms and LSR Axle

Poly Case Saver, Streamline Stabilizer, PRM Skidplates, Pro Armor Bumpers, Tusk Heel Guards, IMS 3.7 tank, 6K HID

Next up: Dasa Port Job, JE Pro 12 12.8 piston
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

View jpeltier's Photo Gallery(0)
No i have not checked the plug as of yet, but i plan to pick one up and change it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:00 PM

View Blayzin212's Photo Gallery(0)
When i got my kfx it was doing the same thing. Mine was the map sensor, but it could be the coolant temp sensor, a failing ignition, a throttle position sensor, or a small hand full of other things. Lol but seriously though it would be a good idea if you are going to keep it a while if you would get familiar with removing the seat, front half of the plastic, and the gas tank, because maintenance will require it. My map sensor wasnt bad but the hose going to it came off...easy fix and its a possibility but you need to remove the gas tank to see it. Its right next to the throttle body, like 3 inches away and should be connected by a small hose. Should be the only hose there but its like impossible to see without taking the tank off.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 08:09 AM

View agrsio's Photo Gallery(0)
Went riding sat and when i started the bike it was way way rich....ran great the week before...checked everything with no luck...air filter was not over oiled..i even remapped the bike and it took going 12% leaner to get it just to even run...another thing is that the fast idle knob does nothing...when i pull it out it does not increase the idle at all......could my injector be bad??o..while at the track i put in a new pgm-fi unit..new fuel pump..and a new plug ...nothing helped at all...anyone else have this problem???
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 08:16 AM

View Blayzin212's Photo Gallery(0)
Mine did the exact same thing and it was just the vacuum hose running from the throttle body to the map sensor had fallen off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:24 AM

View blue99stroker's Photo Gallery(0)
Yep cracked/split vacuum hose

Weak spark

Failing water temp sensor

08 KFX450r- DASA, FCI, Stg 2 Hotcams, Wiseco FI, Dynatek Coil

Race Tech dual rate front springs, GT thunder XC Link and Race tech spring, LSR +2 Arms and LSR Axle

Poly Case Saver, Streamline Stabilizer, PRM Skidplates, Pro Armor Bumpers, Tusk Heel Guards, IMS 3.7 tank, 6K HID

Next up: Dasa Port Job, JE Pro 12 12.8 piston

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Headquarters > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in