TPS setting - Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com
Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

View RCampbell's Photo Gallery(0)
TPS setting

Will start and idle, runs fine when on throttle, dies when I come off of throttle. Starts back up and idles? I got the bike from someone, so dont know what settings he had dialed in...............thanks a million- I want to go ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

View Dust Devil's Photo Gallery(0)
Welcome to the Forum....!!

The TPS setting is 0.58~0.62 DCV...see attachment below

sensor adapter part # 57001-1538 or https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-57...5NlE:rk:1:pf:0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TPS voltage inspection.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	24220   Click image for larger version

Name:	sensor-adapter_big570011538-01_585d.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	24222  

Check with Site Sponsors "First"

(Immortal ATV)
Todd
http://immortalatv.com
1-(800)380-9646
[email protected]
Save 5% off $100 or more, use coupon code: KFX450HQ

(KB Motor-sports)
http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com

(Discount Tire)
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com
Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

post #3 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:21 PM

View Blayzin212's Photo Gallery(0)
I am having the same exact problem. I just bought a power commander 5 to try and take control of the situation. Can anyone tell me if the power commander can fix an ecu problem if the problem actually lies in the ecu? My bike is getting drowned in fuel so I cut back the fuel ratio for the stock map on a stock bike. It didnt really help but have added a jeep coil that works great. I have checked and cleaned the wiring all over it. I've replaced the coolant temp sensor, I've calibrated the tps and cleaned the 30amp fuse connector. I was hoping that if it is the ecu not working correctly that since both the fuel and ignition now comes from the commander that the problem may disappear. I am going to get an auto tuner as well. Can an injector be dumping way too much fuel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:14 PM

View blue99stroker's Photo Gallery(0)
The power commander is only a piggy back unit.

It won’t fix an ecu issue.

Verify the battery is 12v+

The auto tune still requires a close base map to adjust from

08 KFX450r- DASA, FCI, Stg 2 Hotcams, Wiseco FI, Dynatek Coil

Race Tech dual rate front springs, GT thunder XC Link and Race tech spring, LSR +2 Arms and LSR Axle

Poly Case Saver, Streamline Stabilizer, PRM Skidplates, Pro Armor Bumpers, Tusk Heel Guards, IMS 3.7 tank, 6K HID

Next up: Dasa Port Job, JE Pro 12 12.8 piston
post #5 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:07 AM

Ya the battery is at 12.8 and since I've been working with it I periodically put a trickle charger on it just because I'm spending more time starting it instead of having it running because of this issue. It's to the point now that I foul a spark plug after 5 min of it idleing due to far too much gas. I can tell that the gas is raising my oil level after maybe 15min idleing.
I am guessing that for as bad as it is I should start by replacing the ecu? I wont be able to test the injector or fuel pressure until sat. But I'm looking for ideas.

post #6 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzin212 View Post
Ya the battery is at 12.8 and since I've been working with it I periodically put a trickle charger on it just because I'm spending more time starting it instead of having it running because of this issue. It's to the point now that I foul a spark plug after 5 min of it idleing due to far too much gas. I can tell that the gas is raising my oil level after maybe 15min idleing.
I am guessing that for as bad as it is I should start by replacing the ecu? I wont be able to test the injector or fuel pressure until sat. But I'm looking for ideas.

(Your quote: I can tell that the gas is raising my oil level after maybe 15min idleing...)

It might NOT be an ECU problem...low compression can cause your symptoms too...!!!

Check if fuel is getting into your oil by smelling it for gas....If so...you might have bad piston rings...also do a compression test...!!!

•Hold the throttle wide open and crank the engine with the
electric starter several times. When the gauge stops ranging,
stop cranking and read the gauge.

Cylinder Compression
Service Range 49.0∼ 81.8 psi) @900 r/min (rpm)

(Immortal ATV)
Todd
1-(800)380-9646
[email protected]

(KB Motor-sports)

(Discount Tire)

post #7 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:29 PM

Damn I was hoping it wasnt going to be low compression. I just got this kfx and I dont have any history with it.
I'm going to attempt to explain exactly what's going on in hopes that maybe you think its something else...I have a compression gauge but I need an adapter for it that's smaller than the one I have for the spark plug hole. I'll order one today.
Anyway yes I have smelled the oil and yes its diluted with gas. From tuning car engines I know that even with half way decent rings, if way too much gas is being added it makes it's way to the oil.
It only idles and I cant ride it more that 30 sec without it stalling and fouling the spark plug. I can start it pretty easily and it will run for 30 sec to a min before stalling. It wont stay running at 22 clicks ...I have to put it at about 15 clicks to get it at about 1800rpm. I can rev it fast but fully, and when the rpms come down it goes strait to stall. My spark plugs are saturated in fuel and I have to leave a plug out for maybe 10min so the flooding in the cylinder dries a lil and makes it easy to start again. With the pc5 I was able to turn the fuel percentage down a full 100% and it would run better but randomly miss about every 10 revolutions. I advanced the timing about 3deg and it helped but not too much so I put it back to zero. I am thinking about just ordering parts one by one until I figure it out. But I think a smart person would check the compression before that happens so I'll start by ordering that today.

post #8 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM

One more question...is the jug sleeves? Like I can take it and have it bored out? Or I have to buy the whole cylinder. I dont want to run race fuel so can I use a high compression piston and hotter cams?
Thanks for the help

post #9 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 03:28 PM

*sleeved* spell check got me

post #10 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzin212 View Post
One more question...is the jug sleeves? Like I can take it and have it bored out? Or I have to buy the whole cylinder. I dont want to run race fuel so can I use a high compression piston and hotter cams?
Thanks for the help

(only) If the cylinder is bad/scorn or worn out...such as dirt getting in through the intake....!!!

No it's not sleeved or can be bored out like a typical steel cylinder...the kFX cylinder is aluminum with a nikasil coating...So you'll have to have it re-plated if bored out...!!!

bore & re plate I recommend https://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=1

or you can have it sleeved locally or send it out to be sleeved.... https://www.lasleeve.com/cylinder-sl...-sleeve-ka5675

(Immortal ATV)
Todd
1-(800)380-9646
[email protected]

(KB Motor-sports)

(Discount Tire)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in