TPS setting - Page 12 - Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com
Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

View Dust Devil's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzin212 View Post
Im not having much luck with dynojet...heres my convo

Details:
I am using a procom ECU.
I need a firmware update for a PPR rate to .5 because the procom fires the ignition on every revolution.
------------------------------------------------------------
Product:
Power Commander V
Part Number:
17-036
Serial:

------------------------------------------------------------
Vehicle Make:
Kawasaki
Vehicle Model:
Kfx450r
Vehicle Year:

Hello Cody,

* * * * * * *We do not actually control the ignition on the vehicle, we are just modifying signals sent from the ECM. If we are getting spark on every revolution, this vehicle most likely is using a waste spark system which is not uncommon and does not necessarily cause an issues. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

Danny Boardman
Powersports Technician

[My reply]
It does use waste spark and it is causing an issue. Ive read in so many places that theres a firmware update that i can get from dynojet to make it read every other pulse so it will work correctly. I have 2 afr widebands reading from separate power sources and the pcv is dumping twice the amount of fuel needed because it thinks my engine is running twice the rpms that it actually is. I know you dont control the ignition so you cant control the incoming pulses but you do control the power commander and its the fuel thats messed up....not the actual spark plug ignition. I cant cut the fuel by half either because it doesnt work that way, i need it to fire the injector on ever other pulse.

Hello Cody,

* * * * * * * * We are able to only able to modify what signal we display, we cannot intercept a signal to stop it from going forward. I think there might have been a mis-communication as to what the Firmware does. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

Danny Boardman
Powersports Technician

-------- Original message --------

Subject: [Dynojet Research] Re: Powercommander Technical Support Inquiry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I don't know...I don't use the Procom...when the KFX450 was in production (2008~2014) Dynojet had great support for the racers...

Check with Site Sponsors "First"

(Immortal ATV)
Todd
http://immortalatv.com
1-(800)380-9646
[email protected]
Save 5% off $100 or more, use coupon code: KFX450HQ

(KB Motor-sports)
http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com

(Discount Tire)
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com
Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:14 PM

View Blayzin212's Photo Gallery(0)
6 hours and 7 emails and i got dynojet to understand and he said he would be happy to provide it, I'm waiting. GREAT!

If the +3 raises the compression ratio from 12 to 12.5 then i would use a 12.4 piston and that would raise me from 12.4 to 12.9 correct?

And that would still allow me theoretically to run 93?

post #113 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Quote:
6 hours and 7 emails and i got dynojet to understand and he said he would be happy to provide it, I'm waiting. GREAT!

If the +3 raises the compression ratio from 12 to 12.5 then i would use a 12.4 piston and that would raise me from 12.4 to 12.9 correct?

And that would still allow me theoretically to run 93?

Correct...! The +3 will increase the compression due to increased intake volume...around 0.3~0.5 depends on the intake tube (stock or upgraded) & head porting...

(Immortal ATV)
Todd
1-(800)380-9646
[email protected]

(KB Motor-sports)

(Discount Tire)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:58 PM

This is what i had to say to dynojet to get them to understand because they dont have any idea without an explanation.
I hope this will help anyone else with the same problem i had!

post #115 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:59 PM

There should be 2 versions of cutting the rpm reading in half on the pcv.

(intake, compression, power, and exhaust) 4 stroke cycle*

So this means that the piston goes up and down twice in one 4-stroke cycle. The stock ecu only fires the ignition one time in a 4-stroke cycle (piston goes up and down twice and the stock ecu only ignites the spark plug once). But that means the crank sensor went by twice and the stock ecu only fired the spark plug once. The procom ecu (im using) just fires the spark plug ever time the crank sensor goes by. Therefore firing the spark plug twice as much as the stock ecu would have.*

Now the pcv determines the rpm rate by the rate of the spark plug ignitions from the ecu and this ecu (procom) is doubling what the stock ecu would have put out, so the pcv is doubling the amount of fuel that should be there. Its injecting fuel on the intake and exhaust stroke just because the procom ecu fires the spark plug on the exhaust stroke (wasted spark).

I should have said upfront that i have a single cylinder engine. A single cylinder engine usually only ignites spark on the combustion stroke not the exhaust stroke. The ecu i have is igniting the spark plug on both the combustion and again on the exhaust stroke.

*In wasted spark this would be alternated between opposing cylinders but in a single cylinder its not able to alternate because there are no other cylinders and this means it just fires the same spark plug twice.*

The ecu ignites the spark plug based on the signal from the crank sensor and the pcv gets the rpm reading from the frequency of the spark plug ignitions from the ecu.*

This is why i say there should be two versions and only one will be correct. Since your going to scale the rpm to .5 which would be half the rpm signal im currently getting from the ecu, then your going to effectively use one spark and skip one. I need to be able to choose which spark to keep because only the spark on the combustion stroke will work. However scaling the rpm to .5 is exactly what needs to be done.*

Thanks for your help and please ask me if i can help elaborate if any more info is needed.

post #116 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 PM

Failure!! Says the head of r&d at dynojet.! They say u cant use the procom with the pcv.! That was over the phone. The emails were to a separate person saying he can help me rescale the rpms read by .5. I have doubts about that as well. I just cant figure out why the two threads on the ppl that recieved the firmware patch just end and no one asked for it, or needed help getting it. Im frustrated as hell!!

post #117 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:03 PM

Just read an old thread u were on duster...almost all of these smaller 4 strokes are 1 ppr....even the stock ecu is wasted spark. I tune electronic turbo charged cars and ive been racking my brain trying to figure out how the stock kfx ecu knew when it was tdc of the combustion stroke. It doesnt...it just fires ever time. I had a miss understanding of the stock ecu and i just had to do a good bit of reading to figure it out. I just got laid off so i have a good bit of time now..lol. i dont yet know if its possibe to run this procom with the pcv but im gonna try because i dont have any other ecus...my stock cdi is shot i guess...it drowns in fuel with it even at the correct afr.

Man none of that was meant any kind of way, youve helped me learn this platform so much and ur definitely still the man. I appreciate everything youve taken the time to do!

post #118 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:06 PM

Does anyone out there have a good stock ecu to sell?

post #119 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Quote:
Just read an old thread u were on duster...almost all of these smaller 4 strokes are 1 ppr....even the stock ecu is wasted spark. I tune electronic turbo charged cars and ive been racking my brain trying to figure out how the stock kfx ecu knew when it was tdc of the combustion stroke. It doesnt...it just fires ever time. I had a miss understanding of the stock ecu and i just had to do a good bit of reading to figure it out. I just got laid off so i have a good bit of time now..lol. i dont yet know if its possibe to run this procom with the pcv but im gonna try because i dont have any other ecus...my stock cdi is shot i guess...it drowns in fuel with it even at the correct afr.

Man none of that was meant any kind of way, youve helped me learn this platform so much and ur definitely still the man. I appreciate everything youve taken the time to do!

Just to clarify....quoted from the thread ....The version Dynojet sent me are 1.0 and 2.0. I used the "1.0 to fix the problem".)

https://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/engi...-autotune.html

Did Dynojet send you firmware for 1.0 PPR rate or no...!

(Immortal ATV)
Todd
1-(800)380-9646
[email protected]

(KB Motor-sports)

(Discount Tire)

post #120 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:18 PM

No dynojet did not send me anything. I emailed back and forth for days and the guy i was emailing with said "oh u want to just scale the ppr by .5?" And i said yes and he said "no problem i can do that for you" then there was never any response so i called dynojet and talked to a guy in tech that understood what i was saying but didnt know. So he went and got the head of r&d on the phone with me and he explained that the pcv reads ppr by resistors built onto the board and that its hardware, not software.

I i got my bike to run with the pcv and the procom. Weirdest thing though...even with the procom by itself it seems like it works great once, and then if i turn the bike off and on again it wants to flood out...then I'll turn it on and off again and it will be fine....not just back and forth but randomly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in