only getting spark when i let off the start button. - Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com
Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

View Pontiacman63383's Photo Gallery(0)
only getting spark when i let off the start button.

So I have been dealing with a no start issue on my 08 kfx450. Here's what I know so far. When you turn the key on the fuel pump primes, when I hit the start button it will crank over fine and the fuel injector is pulsing but I'm not getting any spark out of the coil until I let off the start button. when I let off I will get a spark or 2. Here is what I have check so far. All 3 fuses are good and have power with the key on and while cranking. power going to the ecu on pin 13 and 29 is good with key on. ground going to the ecu on pin 21 and 25 is good. ecu is a procom aftermarket ecu. y/r wire to coil has power with key on and cranking. bl/w wire on coil will only pulse when I let off the start button. both coil wires have been checked for shorts to power/ground and correct resistance. crankshaft sensor is sending out about 2.3 vac while cranking and both wires have been check for shorts to power/ground and correct resistance. when grounding the o/bk diag wire to the ecu I do not get an FI light flash but this has been the case since well before it would not start. roll over sensor is sending 3.98 in the correct mounting and .59 when flipped. all wires from ecu to roll over sensor have been check for shorts to power/ground and correct resistance. light blue and br/bk 5v ref wires are good to all sensors. quad also have a kick starter and still has the same problem when kick starting. The stator/crank sensor has been replaced 3 times now. Main ground is clean and tight. battery terminals are clean and tight. Someone please help me out. I'm running out of ideas.

Last edited by Pontiacman63383; 07-10-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

View Dust Devil's Photo Gallery(0)
Ok...

First...The Procom doesn't have the self-diagnostic circuit for checking for error codes...!

Do you have a stock Kawi ECU that you can hook up to see if you have spark & to check for DFI error codes with...???

Have you tried any of the other Procom maps to see if you have spark...!

What's your battery's voltage ...12.8 volt full charge standard...!

Check with Site Sponsors "First"

(Immortal ATV)
Todd
http://immortalatv.com
1-(800)380-9646
[email protected]
Save 5% off $100 or more, use coupon code: KFX450HQ

(KB Motor-sports)
http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com

(Discount Tire)
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com
Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

That explains why the test port never worked lol. The procom is the only ecu I have. changing the maps did not effect the spark issue. battery is at 12.5 with key on and 11.6 when cranking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

View Dust Devil's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacman63383 View Post
That explains why the test port never worked lol. The procom is the only ecu I have. changing the maps did not effect the spark issue. battery is at 12.5 with key on and 11.6 when cranking.
You might have a bad procom ECU that's shorting out your crank sensor...The crank sensor generates 3v max...& you have gone through 3...

I blew mine when I shorted out my ECU, crank sensor & injector nozzle having a bad tethered kill switch 7 years ago...So it's possible the Procom shorted...

Check with Site Sponsors "First"

(Immortal ATV)
Todd
http://immortalatv.com
1-(800)380-9646
[email protected]
Save 5% off $100 or more, use coupon code: KFX450HQ

(KB Motor-sports)
http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com

(Discount Tire)
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com
Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thats kinda what i was thinking too. Its about the only thing left i could think it could be at this point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in