Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Headquarters > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything on your mind here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 AM

View Michellejo's Photo Gallery(0)
ATV Riding Gear - Protection after injury??

So I rolled my quad on top of me about a month ago now. It was a 2012 Suzuki Z400 (bought a Kawasaki KFX450R after I got insurance money). I was on a black diamond trail and stalled at a part of the hill that was almost a straight up incline. That quad has a high front end and I have always had trouble keeping the front end down (I am 125 pounds) so I was worried about rolling the quad backwards on me so I threw my body over the quad and front braked. I thought I did everything I should do but I started rolling backwards still and with half my body hanging over the handlebars I couldn't steer well, so I rolled backwards and sideways...then of course the quad and I rolled. I hit pretty hard on my back and head (cracked my helmet), and then the quad rolled over my leg.

I thought I got through with small injuries (ankle and muscle contusions)...but now a month later I find out I have multiple herniated discs in my back and I am still limping from the sciatic nerve being pinched. I got the o.k. to ride, but it is pretty painful if I ride all day (taking breaks).

This is what I am wondering...if anyone that have had a similar injury have used the back guard and it helped relieve pain or strain on your back while riding so you can ride longer without pain. Is it functional for more than just a "guard". I wear a kidney belt when I ride already. I am a huge supporter for wearing protective gear and never ride without it but without this accident I would of never really considered getting a back guard. I just want to know if it will help prevent pain while riding. Like how you wear an ace bandage on your ankle while riding (which I now do as the quad landed on my ankle on its roll down the hill).

Thanks for any input

-Michelle

Last edited by Michellejo; 07-27-2012 at 01:22 AM.
KFX450HQ.com is the premier Kawasaki KFX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not these ads. Please Register - It's Free!    
Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 AM

View rppeters7's Photo Gallery(0)
The only thing I have run is like an Ace back support belt, but I didnt like the feel of it for racing. It helped support my back kept my pain down. If your just trail riding not racing it would probably help. Heres a link to what Im talking about.

McDavid Back Support (493R)
-FMF Fuel Programmer
-ITP Holeshot GNCC Tires
-DWT XC Champion In A Box Wheels
-GT Thunder XC Rear Shock Linakge
-Lonestar Racing Billet Twin Row Bearing Carrier
-IMS Foot Pegs
-IMS Heel Guards
-Cycra Pro Bend Hand Guards

2013 Sponsors: FMF Racing, Spy Optics, Spider Graphix, GT Thunder, Cycles R Us, Atv Four Play, VP Racing Fuels, Cox Racing
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 AM

View SloScooter's Photo Gallery(0)
I sue the moose racing kidney belt and it definitely supports the back and helps you keep your posture on long rides. IMO when I hit a whoop hard or case a jump it alleviates alot of the jolt to my back and it doesnt hurt mine. But if I dont wear it and that happens I do get shooting pains down my back and my back is sore after a race. Hope that helps.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:14 PM

View packjh's Photo Gallery(0)
sounds crazy but my weight lifting belt ( sheick contoured belt ) is actually used as back support by companies.. All my back injuries are from the gym anyway!!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:52 PM

View Duster's Photo Gallery(0)
Well, I had a back injury like that, but not from the quad.

Stopped me from riding for many years. All in all between a few back injuries I couldn't ride for like 10 years. Hurt too much.

I can't tell you what to wear, but I can tell you what finally worked for me, relieved the pain, took care of the sciatic nerve pain and stuff....

Self-Treatment for Upper, Middle, Lower Back Pain, Ache, Stiff, Strain, Failed Back Syndrome

And for spinal traction, I used a ladies 3 lb dumbbell (round ones w/rubber coating). I would get down in the floor, put it centered on my spine with a "wheel" on each side. I would slowly catipillar creep back, until I had rolled it all the way down my spine and I had rolled off it.

I was so bad they wanted to do surgery and stuff. I hurt so much I would have tried anything... and was about to go through with it before I found that solution.

Back hurt and it felt like I had a sword entering at the belt line above the back pocket and exiting my foot.
#919 KFX450R

2014 Sponsors:
Circus Runaways Racing, NineOneNine Designs, X-TREAM CLEAN,
Wicked Thunder, CV4, ATV Four-Play, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox,
Houser Racing, Vanilla Gorrilla Racing, Yoshimura, Wiseco, Rekluse,
Turbo Blue Race Fuel, Rath Racing, ITP Tire & Wheel, KB Motorsports

Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM

View Michellejo's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by Duster View Post
Well, I had a back injury like that, but not from the quad.

Stopped me from riding for many years. All in all between a few back injuries I couldn't ride for like 10 years. Hurt too much.

I can't tell you what to wear, but I can tell you what finally worked for me, relieved the pain, took care of the sciatic nerve pain and stuff....

Self-Treatment for Upper, Middle, Lower Back Pain, Ache, Stiff, Strain, Failed Back Syndrome

And for spinal traction, I used a ladies 3 lb dumbbell (round ones w/rubber coating). I would get down in the floor, put it centered on my spine with a "wheel" on each side. I would slowly catipillar creep back, until I had rolled it all the way down my spine and I had rolled off it.

I was so bad they wanted to do surgery and stuff. I hurt so much I would have tried anything... and was about to go through with it before I found that solution.

Back hurt and it felt like I had a sword entering at the belt line above the back pocket and exiting my foot.

You are the SECOND person to recommend that book to me! I am going to pick it up and use the techniques. Thank you for taking the time to post about your back solution.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM

View scotturban's Photo Gallery(0)
Cracked your helmet? What kinda helmet were you using? Thats an area I would not go the cheap route just my 2 cents.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 PM

View prityboy69's Photo Gallery(0)
I have had a chiropractor teach me those back strengthening techniques. They work very well. I had been on 4 oxy 40s a day for about seven years and now i take nothing where the muscles have built up around the deteriorating disk and hold it in place. It also helps your posture which intern helps your back be stronger in itself.
Procom ECU,Motoworks FMI,Xceldyne Valve Springs,DASA+3 Throttle Body,Dasa Exhaust,+3 HotRods Crank,Hinson clutch,Hetrick CP 14:1 Piston, Hetrick Web Cams 493/216,ARP Head Bolt Stud Kit,Ported & Polished Head,CV4 Hoses,FCI Mean Green,Jeep 4.0 Coil,DustDevil Oil Cooler,Engine Ice,Blue Engine Plugs,Polly Case Saver,Hiper Tech 3 Wheel's,ITP Holeshot tires,ProArmor Pro Race Grab Bar,Pro armer kill switch,Lowered Sub Frame,Rath Nerf Bars With Heal Guards,Houser +2 Steering Stem, Alba Break Line Clamps,Fox Float Evol Shocks,Fox Podium rear shock ,Houser A-arms +2.25,DG skid,Tiger Racing hood,Bling Star Rotor Guard,Blue 757 E-Break cover,G-Force Rear Hubs,ODI GRIPS,QuadTech seat.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM

I should look into that as well... because I still have a tendancy to arch my back or roll forward at the hips. My back was so tight for so long and the discs were bulged towards the spinal column. So it was a relief to arcmy back like a kid does to stick their stomach out. So I still do it from habit.
#919 KFX450R

2014 Sponsors:

Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 PM

Michellejo,

You know, I never would have tried it, but I was miserable, period. I would have let a china-man make a pincushion of me so I figured why not... worked.

Also, this may help you and it may not. But I just this week have had a bit of pain in my back for the first time in a long time... real low along the belt line above the rear pocket from the spin e out to the hip.

In this case, it turns out it is not my back actually at all. Sounds stupid I know, but it is actually referred pain from a trigger points in my leg.

If you will feel firmly you can find them along the outer halves of the backs of the legs for example. In my case I have 2 pretty ticked off. One just above the back of the knee with surrounding tissue swelled up about the size of a marble. Then another about a hand width above that.

The funny part about the referred pain is that you hurt in one place but feel no pain at all at the source until you actually touch it and as you start to work on it the referred pain just vanishes.

I have recently started back running and apparently did not stretch the one leg well enough after the last run or something.
#919 KFX450R

2014 Sponsors:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Headquarters > General Discussion