Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Headquarters > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about anything on your mind here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 07:47 AM

View arapaima's Photo Gallery(0)
Oil

What oil does the kawi engine and transmission run good on?

Right now, I'm using bel ray thumper racing oil: sae 20-50 semi syntethic motor oil. It should be good to go!

I actually thought it was suppose to be transmission oil and not motor oil on these quads...but for all I know it could be the same...:P

I completely drained it last time I did the oil change, then poored in 1150ml of new oil.
Any tricks for getting the cover off when taking out the oil filter? I took off the 2 bolts on the cover but couldn't get the cover off it, to change the filter...tried to be careful though so gave up
KFX450HQ.com is the premier Kawasaki KFX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not these ads. Please Register - It's Free!    
Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 AM

View kfx450r25's Photo Gallery(0)
its hard to take the cover off at first because it's like the thing is sealed out of the factory. take your time dont rush and try to wiggle it. same for putting it back on. i think putting it back on is the hardest. for the first couple of oil changes i used the kawasaki brand then swiched to ams oil
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 AM

View Redneck052's Photo Gallery(0)
It HAS to be MOTOR OIL! The oil both supplies the transmission and top end. Its not like the honda that has one location for each. 20W is good for the hot summer. Most oil are the same now a days unless you get some basement brand. During the winter if you ride you might want to drop down to a 5 or 10W just cause they 20W will thicken during the winter. As for the filter cover if you twist it a little back and forth and lightly pull it will come loose. You can use the tabs to pull once you get it twisted. Make sure the O rings in the cover are good to go before you put it back on. Also be careful if removing the small drain bolt hole. Can be easily stripped when you put it back in.

HMF Competition Exhaust
F.C.I. Intake
Yoshimura PIM 2
Homemade Risers
Pro Armor Nerf Bars

1988 TRX250R

Stock Bore and Jug (10 hours)
FMF Pipe and Silencer
95% Original Bike Down to Keys

Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Thanks a lot guys
All the oil is supposed to poor out by opening the biggest drains underneath?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:32 PM

View tsaiguy19's Photo Gallery(0)
Definitely use motor oil!! I use amsoil and haven't had a problem. As for the filter cover, jiggle it side to side and pull and it will come off. Remember to check and possibly replace the 2 o-rings on the cover if it's worn. I always drain the oil from both spots on the bottom. Just be careful tightening both bolts cause they will strip. Good luck buddy. Have fun riding!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM

View danaustin's Photo Gallery(0)
I use the honda brand because i get good deals on the gallon size and change everytime i ride looks and feels new everytime. For the cap twisting it alittle helped and oil the o rings will help u take it off next time. I usually change the o rings every 2~3times i change the oil because i do it so often. bought them and kn oil filters in bulk on denniskirk.com
Old 05-25-2012, 12:42 AM

View Duster's Photo Gallery(0)
I take the bolts out of the oil filter cover, then I take my thumbs and push on the bolt flange part and turn the cover counter clockwise. This way the bolt flanges are sticking out to get my fingers behind to pull the cover straight off.

I use Hiflofiltro filters and 15w50 Mobil 1 or 10w40 Mobil1 4T motorcycle oil.

Every once in a while I pick up a Fram filter though because they come with rubber o-rings for the filter cover. Not much sucks worse than to be changing oil and one of these go on you.... so I keep those on hand for that reason.

I am about to switch to Amsoil though I think because the Mobil 1 is about as pricey now. I used to be able to get 5 qt jugs of 15w50 for $20-25, so it was a no-brainer and has served me very well so far. I've been in my engine a few times for mods and maintenance and I have been impressed with the condition of things inside.
#919 KFX450R

2014 Sponsors:
Circus Runaways Racing, NineOneNine Designs, X-TREAM CLEAN,
Wicked Thunder, CV4, ATV Four-Play, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox,
Houser Racing, Vanilla Gorrilla Racing, Yoshimura, Wiseco, Rekluse,
Turbo Blue Race Fuel, Rath Racing, ITP Tire & Wheel, KB Motorsports

Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Woow thats great!

I had no trouble changing the oil, and oil filter last day! It runs good, had a different oil on it. 10/40, and my gearing feels more smooth now....weird :P
But how come people are changing their oil so often as once'a ride? Are you riding all day, with full throttle or something?`

Im more of the enduro rider, probably riding an hour when Im out at the time, not pushing it that much
Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 AM

View danaustin's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by arapaima View Post
Woow thats great!

I had no trouble changing the oil, and oil filter last day! It runs good, had a different oil on it. 10/40, and my gearing feels more smooth now....weird :P
But how come people are changing their oil so often as once'a ride? Are you riding all day, with full throttle or something?`

Im more of the enduro rider, probably riding an hour when Im out at the time, not pushing it that much
I ride the dunes its hot and hard on it(or I feel that way). Alot cheaper to change the oil than replace the engine. You will see alot on here new guys will post about engine issues or what not and alot of the times its unproper maint. And when you change the oil make sure you pay attention to which way you put the filter in. Im a diesel mechanic see alot of issues just due to lack of maint. Im the same with my trucks i tow alot and drive hard so i change the oil every 2-3k even though the sythethic they run now is good for 7500k .
Old 05-28-2012, 02:54 AM

View Duster's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by arapaima View Post
Woow thats great!

Well there you go then... I think you have that same sort of feel I do...

I mean nomatter what the trans on this thing feels great compared to a lot out there..... But with that said, on good fresh oil, everything is just superbly smooth and there is a real positive snap into each gear.

So anyways I say go with that feel and stick with it. If you do, it will let you know when it is time to drain. I have followed that all along and it has not steered me wrong so far.

I have found that with some oils that feeling fades away fast, like in a few hours. I'd drain it and it would be pretty watery in viscosity compared to what it was when it went in. I just kept trying something different until I found one that didn't have me wanting to drain it in a pan after a few hours.
#919 KFX450R

2014 Sponsors:
Circus Runaways Racing, NineOneNine Designs, X-TREAM CLEAN,
Wicked Thunder, CV4, ATV Four-Play, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox,
Houser Racing, Vanilla Gorrilla Racing, Yoshimura, Wiseco, Rekluse,
Turbo Blue Race Fuel, Rath Racing, ITP Tire & Wheel, KB Motorsports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Headquarters > General Discussion