Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 06:06 PM

View rppeters7's Photo Gallery(0)
Trying to get the quad 100% running right before adding mods

OK I am planning on doing the big 3. Curtis Sparks exhaust Fuel ATV intake and a PC3. Now while the quad is still stock I am trying to have it in perfect running condition before I start throwing power at it. I have messed with the idle adjustment knob a couple times and read as many threads on here about it as I could but my main question with the is, by turning open and raising the throttle is that going to make it run more lean or rich, and vise versa if I turn the knob down a slow the idle is it more lean or rich? It sounds like a smooth running idle now it does feel a bit hot to me and the fan runs every now and then not sure how often its supposed to run, but I just want to make sure Im not running it to lean and over heating it and what not. Im slowly learning the fuel injection system on this quad, I have only had it a month so just trying to get used to it before I really start tearing it apart. Also if there is anyone in the Indianapolis area that knows a good shop to do a complete tune up and once over of the quad please let me know and possibly a price?
Thanks

mods coming soon once I get it perfect and set stock so I know it will be alright.
KFX450HQ.com is the premier Kawasaki KFX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not these ads. Please Register - It's Free!    
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 PM

View Duster's Photo Gallery(0)
Idle knob just controls idle speed... it is a little more complicated than that but not much.

Toward the front of the bike increases speed, toward the back slows speed.

This moves a plunger in and out of the bypass path for incoming air... increases or decreases flow... but it also increases or decreases the vacuum level in the throttle body, which is sensed by the inlet air pressure sensor, so fuel volume is adjusted accordingly also.

If you want to learn a bit more about how it works, dig up my throttle body thread in the important information section.
#919 KFX450R

2014 Sponsors:
Circus Runaways Racing, NineOneNine Designs, X-TREAM CLEAN,
Wicked Thunder, CV4, ATV Four-Play, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox,
Houser Racing, Vanilla Gorrilla Racing, Yoshimura, Wiseco, Rekluse,
Turbo Blue Race Fuel, Rath Racing, ITP Tire & Wheel, KB Motorsports

Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 AM

View rppeters7's Photo Gallery(0)
Thanks I did read your thread before I posted this one was just looking for a bit more information concerning the fuel and if it would hurt the quad if the knob was to far in one direction idle to high or idle to low.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 AM

View nkeen07's Photo Gallery(0)
Adjusting idle will in no way make your quad run more lean or rich, at least not to an amount that will matter. These KFX's are really rich from the factory as it is. It works just like Dusty said above.

As far as a shop in the Indy area, avoid the stealerships. The only real Kawi places are Dreyer, Noblesville, Flatout, Anderson Powersports, and Action Motorsports up in Lafayette; however, I think I can help you out if you don't mind a little drive. East of Indy out in Carthage is where I always took my quad before I started doing my own work. The shop is MH Motorcycle. Mark Hendershott runs it and is a great guy to deal with. His shop rates are really reasonable and he only does what is absolutely necessary to save you money, unless he sees it as a good thing for preventative maintenance. His # is 765-565-7267. If you give him a call tell him Nathan sent you his way.

Also, quite honestly, I know more about this quad than most people in the area, including mechanics, since I've gone through 2 complete rebuilds on the thing and all preventative maintenance and fixing stuff in between. If you just want someone to look it over and help with tuning feel free to hit me up. I'm on the east side out in Greenfield. I know how these things do and should run and can help diagnose any hick-ups running or handling wise.

Last edited by nkeen07; 07-06-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain