Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 04:44 AM

View kawasaki's Photo Gallery(0)
Runs for 30 or so seconds and dies

Ive got an 08 kfx with the big 3, 13-1 cp piston, stage 2 hotcams, and port and polish. Recently it started well...dying. It will fire right up run for 30-40 seconds and just turn off. No fi light blinking or anything. No codes reading from self diagnostic wire. After it dies it will have a hard time starting then only run for 3-10 seconds. I did notice that the pc3 light will start at the bottom of the line and slowly start working its way up the line before it dies. Could that be a tps issue? I do have my tps voltage set at .62 and idle nob 22 clicks out. Thanks for any suggestions guys. Oh and by the way the injector is spraying fuel. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Thanks again
KFX450HQ.com is the premier Kawasaki KFX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not these ads. Please Register - It's Free!    
Old 05-16-2011, 08:28 PM

View KVRGRNRIDR68's Photo Gallery(0)
Is it already broken in? Could be valve adjustment maybe? I know mine is gettin a lil harder to start and wont idle long when its cold. Im gonna need to do a valve adjustment quick.
K&N, Full Yosh comp system with power commander, Lonestar Racing rear fender brackets, DG Baja main skid and swingarm skid, DG National series front and rear bumper, DG Alloy series nerfs, Pro Armor tether kill, Douglas G1 rear beadlocks and Rok Out Fronts with ITP Holeshot HD's.

2005 Brute Force 750
K&N, Pro Armor skids, Full Big Gun exhaust, custom advance timing, 3k lb winch on recievers front/rear, 27" ITP mudlites, 25" ITP ATR's on SS108 Rims.

1985 Bayou 185
STOCK!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

View Dust Devil's Photo Gallery(0)
With a 13:1 ratio...Are you running 100 octane + fuel ????

How much added CFM flow is your porting...

Your manifold vacuum standard is 62HGcm that your air-pressure sensor is set at....

And was your port job done to match the compression ratio of the piston your using 13:1 ???

(KB Motor-sports)
http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com

(Zbroz racing)
http://www.zbrozracing.com

I'm building a "Nitrous Hill-Climber"!!!

Last edited by Dust Devil; 05-16-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:54 PM

The valves are all in spec. It started doing this before it got the p&p but long after the piston and cams. At my elevation I can get away with running high octane pump fuel. We're over 4000' here. I do mix with 111 octane when going much lower though. It just seems like the bike is telling itself to turn off. Not dying slow or chugging first. Just like turning the key off.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

View Dust Devil's Photo Gallery(0)
What kind of fuel controller are you using???

Your A/F ratio is off or you have a bad spark plug....or both
That's seem to be where the problem is...

What exhaust system are you using, Stock,slip-on or full ???

(KB Motor-sports)
http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com

(Zbroz racing)
http://www.zbrozracing.com

I'm building a "Nitrous Hill-Climber"!!!

Last edited by Dust Devil; 05-16-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 PM

View Duster's Photo Gallery(0)
Sounds like it could be as simple as a short in your switches... key, thumb, tether...

Check'm...

If it is none of that, unhook your coolant temp sensor and try again.
Then if no change, stick a paper clip into the terminals of the wiring plug and try again.

Sure your PC hasn't lost or had it's settings changed? I have noticed the piggyback modules will shut them right off after they do that sorta scan-like activity they do with the lights when you first start up.... and if you are too rich on fuel on the bottom for example it will shut it right off when the lights go solid. Apparently it takes these things a few seconds to get their "wits" about them when you first start up... and then they start the delivery of additional fuel.
#919 KFX450R

2014 Sponsors:
Circus Runaways Racing, NineOneNine Designs, X-TREAM CLEAN,
Wicked Thunder, CV4, ATV Four-Play, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox,
Houser Racing, Vanilla Gorrilla Racing, Yoshimura, Wiseco, Rekluse,
Turbo Blue Race Fuel, Rath Racing, ITP Tire & Wheel, KB Motorsports

Old 05-25-2011, 01:24 AM

Duster I think you are on the right track. My pc3 had been sitting for about 8 months.( I know way to long without riding.) I changed the map once we got it running. It started running longer. Changed the map again and it worked even better. It is still acting like the mapping is wrong but I guess I will just have to go "old school" on it and push buttons to add fuel and check the plug. I'm planning on taking it to Little Sahara this weekend so hope it runs. Thanks guys. As always, tons of good suggestions. I do think its a bit odd that no one on the kawi websites have a map for a lot of the minor mods that alot of people around here have. Pretty easy to find them for the Zuk, or Yami. Just odd is all.
P.S.
Duster you must have had way to many problems with these damn Kawi's to know all you do. Thanks again. You da man

Last edited by kawasaki; 05-25-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain