Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 PM

View SloScooter's Photo Gallery(0)
Are you hitting it on something? Running a skid plate?
KFX450HQ.com is the premier Kawasaki KFX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not these ads. Please Register - It's Free!    
Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 PM

View tscracing's Photo Gallery(0)
I have been running a renthal 36 t for 2 years with no problems. I have allways thought something like a rock, or something else must have gotten into the chain and sprocket, to make them break.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 PM

View 360 KFX's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by DaGoblin View Post
.now finally, I am no longer breaking anything! I'm running a stock rear, and went up a tooth in the front. So yeah....DO NOT buy aluminum! lol

Is the stock rear not aluminum?????
Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 AM

View tscracing's Photo Gallery(0)
stock is steel
Old 09-30-2010, 01:02 PM

View johnnyboy's Photo Gallery(0)
Well I suppose if you dont ever do any routine maintainance tightning bolts ect, and run the chain to tight then maybe there is a chance of breaking something, I mean if a R1 motored quad can run alloy sprockets and all MX supermoto bikes ect I would seriously look at what your doing wrong and not blaming alloy sprockets I even think the sprockets on a moto gp bike are alloy
Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 PM

View nkeen07's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
I gotta say that I now run a steel sprocket on the KFX but went years on alloy items, my KTM uses alloy from the factory and I have neve ever had a problem with either quads sprockets, so please can someone thats more educated than me tell me as to why we shouldnt run them !!!! does this mean I am going to have to remove the alloy sprockets from my bikes as well ?????????
There have been several forum members that have broken aluminum sprockets in half on this quad, resulting in bent motor output shafts and cracked cases. That's why people don't recommend them. This can mostly likely be avoided by keeping your chain the proper tension and cleaning and inspecting it regularly. They also wear much faster than steel. It's not worth the rotational inertia savings to go lighter w/an aluminum sprocket. I've been running different tooth count Primary Drive steel rears since the re-build and they're wearing great with no problems. Can't do any better for the money, $18 from RM.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 PM

View johnnyboy's Photo Gallery(0)
Thumbs up

I went to steel for the durability and will source one for the ktm when it wants one (still looks like new in 18 months of use) I just cant see how if properly set up and mantained its possible to bust one but thats what this forum is about! advise and help so all keep up the good work its been a great help to me in the past and im sure will be again in the future
Old 09-30-2010, 04:17 PM

View SloScooter's Photo Gallery(0)
I replaced my front sprocket and rear at the begininng of the race season this year in bishopviller, front is steel but the rear is a renthal non steel sprocket and I have had zero issues....maybe I am just not fast enough...hmmmm.

I love the forums and for the most part they are helpful. But I do see some things on here that make you question what people are talking about. Until this thread I have never heard of a motor that makes 50 or less hp shedding a sprocket without hitting something....it just baffles me. I have been around some really fast bikes in my day and never seen a sprocket shatter. I guess there is a first time for everything.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 PM

View DirtyDawg's Photo Gallery(8)
I use the Renthal rear sprockets as well. I have yet to break one, but they do wear out quiker. I ride the dunes alot, and the sand is hard on chains, and sprockets. The sand gets in the chain links and wears away at them. I have tried both o ring chains and non o ring chains, and it didnt seem to make much difference. Once the chain wears, and starts to stretch, the alloy sprockets start to get hooked pretty quik. I put a new chain and usually a new rear sprocket at the beginning of the dune season each year. I check chain deflection and sprocket wear befor every trip, and have yet to throw a chain, or break a sprocket. I also have a Pro Armor swingarm skid, that protects the chain and sprocket really well. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think it has more to do with maintenance than luck.

Last edited by DirtyDawg; 09-30-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 PM

View REEKERS529's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by SloScooter View Post
I replaced my front sprocket and rear at the begininng of the race season this year in bishopviller, front is steel but the rear is a renthal non steel sprocket and I have had zero issues....maybe I am just not fast enough...hmmmm.

I love the forums and for the most part they are helpful. But I do see some things on here that make you question what people are talking about. Until this thread I have never heard of a motor that makes 50 or less hp shedding a sprocket without hitting something....it just baffles me. I have been around some really fast bikes in my day and never seen a sprocket shatter. I guess there is a first time for everything.
hate to see you experience it! my renthal shattered like glass and the chain carried the sprocket bolt up to my front sprocket where it wedged itself between the sprocket and case, had to replace cases.....if you ride hard enough buy steel don't give a shit if you run skids or not u will hit shit with your rear end and aluminum sprockets will break because they are junk!!!
2008 KFX 450r, FCI w/box, DMC dual exhaust, PCIII, FOX SHOX, Hyper Tech 3's on GBC T-REX, UM nerfs w/fat pegs, Pro armor full/swing skids, dominator II axle, roll design +1 stem, flexx bars, power madd hand guards, precision stabilizer, Hinson billetproof clutch basket, stage two hot cams, Rekluse Z-pro clutch, Fluidyne Radiator

http://www.loopd.com/members/REEKERS529/Default.aspx

OPEN FLY RACING TEAM
WE LET IT ALL HANG OUT!!

Thanks to my sponsors, THEDE PHOTOGRAPHY, TAG METALS, TekBolt, RAD mfg,SMX optics, FLY RACING, ASV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain