Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 02:07 AM

View shee nut's Photo Gallery(0)
Finding TDC on compression stroke?

How do I know that I'm on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke when the engine is at TDC? Are there marks on the flywheel to line up too? While the engine has been apart, I've turned it over by hand a few times and I don't know where it's at know.

I'm getting ready to put my head and cams back on and want to make sure I don't install the cams 180 degrees off.
KFX450HQ.com is the premier Kawasaki KFX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not these ads. Please Register - It's Free!    
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 AM

View Slaytanic454's Photo Gallery(61)
Without the cams installed, there's no way to tell which stroke it should be on; the cam dictates this. You'll have to time the cam if you've pulled everything apart. I've never had the uhh... pleasure, of doing this, so I can't really explain it to you. Google it?
Motoworks SR-4, CFM Aluminum intake box/tube, Custom EHS lid, K&N filter, ProCom ECU, Fasst Flexx bars, Elka System 5 stabilizer, black Pro Armor Fat Peg nerfs, black Pro Armor Dominator bumper, Pro Armor kill switch, Pro Armor swing arm skid, JnJ frame/a-arm skids, Pro Armor billet case saver, Pro Armor billet shifter, 15 tooth sprocket, ITP Holeshot HDs, Factory Effex Metal Mulisha graphics
Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by stevenp0827 View Post
take out the spark plug and cover the hole while turning the engine over slowly when you feel pressure you are on the compression stroke, just line up the timing mark on the balancer and your there.
He has the head off, and the cam out. Without the head there's no compression, and without the cam in, even if he had the head on, it wouldn't lift the exhaust valve to let the pressure out to distinguish between the compression and exhaust strokes.

You can't just throw a cam in wherever you want, there's a procedure for timing it properly that you have to go through every time you take it out.
Motoworks SR-4, CFM Aluminum intake box/tube, Custom EHS lid, K&N filter, ProCom ECU, Fasst Flexx bars, Elka System 5 stabilizer, black Pro Armor Fat Peg nerfs, black Pro Armor Dominator bumper, Pro Armor kill switch, Pro Armor swing arm skid, JnJ frame/a-arm skids, Pro Armor billet case saver, Pro Armor billet shifter, 15 tooth sprocket, ITP Holeshot HDs, Factory Effex Metal Mulisha graphics
Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

View Dust Devil's Photo Gallery(0)
Thumbs up Here's the service manual

Quote: Originally Posted by shee nut View Post
How do I know that I'm on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke when the engine is at TDC? Are there marks on the flywheel to line up too? While the engine has been apart, I've turned it over by hand a few times and I don't know where it's at know.

I'm getting ready to put my head and cams back on and want to make sure I don't install the cams 180 degrees off.
Go to chapter(Engine top-end 5-15)

KFX450 Service Manual

(KB Motor-sports)
http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com

(Zbroz racing)
http://www.zbrozracing.com

I'm building a "Nitrous Hill-Climber"!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 PM

View shee nut's Photo Gallery(0)
After some research, I found that our engines fire on both the compression and the exhaust stroke, which is known as "wasted spark ignition".

I just thought I had to time the pick-up on the flywheel with the cams also.
I guess I was really over thinking this.

Funny thing is, I do have a manual and it does state to intall the cams either on compression or exhaust stroke

Last edited by shee nut; 05-11-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by shee nut View Post
After some research, I found that our engines fire on both the compression and the exhaust stroke, which is known as "A FUCKING AFTERBURNER!!!!".

I just thought I had to time the pick-up on the flywheel with the cams also.
I guess I was really over thinking this.

Funny thing is, I do have a manual and it does state to intall the cams either on compression or exhaust stroke
Fixed

SO... Do the cams and the crank/flywheel have marks on them to indicate where you should install them, or something?

I've never worked on a single cylinder, dual cam motor before; not sure how it works exactly.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:05 AM

View 250ftabyss's Photo Gallery(24)
You line up a mark on the flywheel and make sure the piston is TDC. Thats it SIMPLE! The Exhaust cam has a line etched into it that you line up with the edge of the head and the intake cam has a small dot you count teeth on the chain from the other cams line. Simple, no math, no brainer, dont need the cams installed to figure this out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain