Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 PM

View KFX450r_15's Photo Gallery(0)
Sprocket sizes.......

Hello everybody, I just recently put the big 3 on my 2008 kfx 450r. Shortly after this i broke my back sprocket somehow, or something like that anyways it had to be replaced. So i took it to the dealer to get fixed and they gave me a new back sprocket. Soon as i went for a rip up the road i noticed a difference. I had way more pull on bottom end and in 5th gear it comes up in a wheelie with very little effort. It's fun but i do a lot of trail riding and for some reason it feels a lot slower. Like it revs really high in 5th and just doesn't seem as fast. Could they have put different size sprockets on? Is there a way to tell? And is there anyway i can fix this problem without loosing the awesome bottom end i gained? Any help would be appreciated I'd like to have this problem fixed for this summer coming. Thanks
KFX450HQ.com is the premier Kawasaki KFX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not these ads. Please Register - It's Free!    
Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM

View skitzo433's Photo Gallery(0)
Count your teeth. Stock is 14/38 i'm pretty sure. I run a 15/38 or 15/36 if its more open.
99 KX540 HILLCLIMBER
?? KZ1000 HILLCLIMBER
03 XR50 i mean 110 with a 3 foot swingarm
Old 03-12-2010, 05:51 PM

I counted them and i counted 39 back 13 front is this the rason why its so slow?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 PM

View Slaytanic454's Photo Gallery(61)
Quote: Originally Posted by KFX450r_15 View Post
I counted them and i counted 39 back 13 front is this the rason why its so slow?
Hahaha hoooly fuck, you must be able to walk faster than that thing in first, pinned!

Yes, that is absolutely the reason. Swap them both out (14, or even a 15 front, and 38 rear) and you'll be golden.

Lowering the number in the front = less speed, more acceleration. Raising the number in the back = the same thing (Simple gear ratios). Doing both = a very slow KFX with waaaaay too much bottom end, and not nearly enough top. I think they're geared too low from the factory, which, as previously mentioned, is 14/18. 13/39 is retarded (Didn't know anyone even made a 13 tooth front for these things, unless it shares a sprocket with another machine, that it came from).
Motoworks SR-4, CFM Aluminum intake box/tube, Custom EHS lid, K&N filter, ProCom ECU, Fasst Flexx bars, Elka System 5 stabilizer, black Pro Armor Fat Peg nerfs, black Pro Armor Dominator bumper, Pro Armor kill switch, Pro Armor swing arm skid, JnJ frame/a-arm skids, Pro Armor billet case saver, Pro Armor billet shifter, 15 tooth sprocket, ITP Holeshot HDs, Factory Effex Metal Mulisha graphics
Old 03-12-2010, 08:56 PM

View DeuceDeuce's Photo Gallery(0)
I would do some searching on here for broken sprockets and case savers. The OEM sprockets break or shear bolts pretty easy and often times under power the chain slaps the cases and cracks them. Many people on here are running case savers to protect from the chain damaging the aluminum cases and many are running aftermarket sprockets or drill out the holes on the sprockets and replace them with larger diameter bolts. Just something else to think about while you're getting your gear ratios sorted back out. -Keith
2009 KFX450R- Engine Work by Motoworks // Motoworks SR4 // FCI // 13.8:1 CP // Pro-Tec racing Cam // Cylinder Head Porting // Carillo Connecting Rod // Precision Stabilizer // Walsh Flow Front End // Fox Float and Podium X // Rath Bumper Nerf and Grab // Hinson Clutch components // G4 Graphics
Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 PM

View 6789olds's Photo Gallery(0)
i run 14/39 in the dunes . and 15/38 in the dirt .
stick stabilizer .
hid lights
rear wheel spacers.
asv
15/38
quadtech hood.
pro armor skids
pro armor bumper
proarmor heelgaurds fat pegs
proarmor nerfs
skat trak extreme 21x12x8 6 paddle
Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks guys for your replies, So 15 front 38 back is the way to go? am i expected to loose a lot of bottom end?
Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

View Dust Devil's Photo Gallery(0)
Thumbs up Tech.Tip:Gear Ratios FAQ

Quote: Originally Posted by KFX450r_15 View Post
Thanks guys for your replies, So 15 front 38 back is the way to go? am i expected to loose a lot of bottom end?

Gear ratios got you in a bind?

Another popular question that I’ve seen floating around the message boards is in regards to gearing and gear ratios.

“What is gearing down?”
“Do I need a larger or smaller front sprocket for more top speed?”
“What effects will my ATV have if I switch to smaller tires?”

I’m sure you get my point by now. Well I hope this quick overview will enlighten everyone just a tad.

Larger - front sprocket = more top speed, less acceleration
Smaller - front sprocket = more acceleration, less top speed
Larger - rear sprocket = more acceleration, less top speed
Smaller - rear sprocket = less acceleration, more top speed
Taller - rear tire = more top speed, less acceleration
Shorter - rear tire = more acceleration, less top speed
1" @ the rear tire roughly translates to 2 teeth on the rear sprocket.
2-3 teeth on the rear sprocket roughly translates to 1 tooth on the front sprocket
"Taller" ratios mean more top speed, less acceleration, smaller numerically.
"Shorter" ratios mean less top speed, more acceleration, larger numerically.

To obtain a gear ratio, divide the number of teeth on your rear sprocket by the number of teeth on your front. For example, 13-tooth front and 40-tooth rear.

40 divided by 13 = 3.07

If you had a 11 front and 37 rear that = 3.36

If you had 3.36 and you went to 3.07 that would be considered moving to a "taller" gear, because you're going to achieve a higher top speed with it.

If you had 3.07 and went to 3.36 that would be considered moving to a "shorter" gear, because you'll be acceleration more and achieving less top speed than before.

Keep in mind, depending on engine power rating, you will NOT be able to rev out last gear in every ratio! If you have a 14 tooth front sprocket and 30-tooth rear sprocket on a stock 250cc quad, you can hang that idea out to dry, because it’ll never be able to pull it with 100% efficiency.

(KB Motor-sports)
http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com

(Zbroz racing)
http://www.zbrozracing.com

I'm building a "Nitrous Hill-Climber"!!!

Old 03-13-2010, 05:28 PM

View Slaytanic454's Photo Gallery(61)
With the big 3 installed, you'll have more than enough torque with a 15 tooth front and stock rear. Wouldn't even worry about it.
Motoworks SR-4, CFM Aluminum intake box/tube, Custom EHS lid, K&N filter, ProCom ECU, Fasst Flexx bars, Elka System 5 stabilizer, black Pro Armor Fat Peg nerfs, black Pro Armor Dominator bumper, Pro Armor kill switch, Pro Armor swing arm skid, JnJ frame/a-arm skids, Pro Armor billet case saver, Pro Armor billet shifter, 15 tooth sprocket, ITP Holeshot HDs, Factory Effex Metal Mulisha graphics
Old 03-13-2010, 06:29 PM

Thank you everybody for your replies. I am going to go with a 15 front and 38 on back. I'm going to order off ebay tonight. Just one more quick question. How hard is it to put the sprockets on by yourself? I never did it before and i don't want to have to take it to a dealer because the closest one to me is like a 2 hour drive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain