Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain

Engine/EFI/Drivetrain Discuss engine, fuel injection, air intake, and drivetrain modifications here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 AM

View brootgoot's Photo Gallery(0)
let me begin by stating that i have come to this forum out of sheer desparation. i purchased my kfx in summer of 2007. love the bike. this summer i added a k&n airfilter, an ehs airbox cover and a trinity slip on. no problems. in november i took the bike to the dealership shop to get service on it, i was told that one service they would need to do was a valve adjustment. since that time the bike has been backfiring when i go off throttle. i wonder, what could be causing this problem? let me back up by adding that at the same time i purchased the slip on and filter i purchased a dyna tech efi module...i installed it, didnt know how to adjust it, and the bike would shut off, so i removed it.

dealership doesnt know squat about what to do and has hinted that this is my fault for adding the exhaust, airbox cover, and filter. they changed the plug today, and it looked like the bike is running lean (whitish-gray tip). i was told that the backfiring could be caused by the bike running lean.

i know nothing about the inner workings of efi, modules, mapping, etc. i assumed that an efi bike would make adjustments automatically for the slipon, cover and filter.

any help is appreciated. john

i just went to the darkside: 2008 z400
KFX450HQ.com is the premier Kawasaki KFX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not these ads. Please Register - It's Free!    
Old 12-16-2007, 05:21 AM

View Screamin_Yeller_400EX's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
let me begin by stating that i have come to this forum out of sheer desparation. i purchased my kfx in summer of 2007. love the bike. this summer i added a k&n airfilter, an ehs airbox cover and a trinity slip on. no problems. in november i took the bike to the dealership shop to get service on it, i was told that one service they would need to do was a valve adjustment. since that time the bike has been backfiring when i go off throttle. i wonder, what could be causing this problem? let me back up by adding that at the same time i purchased the slip on and filter i purchased a dyna tech efi module...i installed it, didnt know how to adjust it, and the bike would shut off, so i removed it.

dealership doesnt know squat about what to do and has hinted that this is my fault for adding the exhaust, airbox cover, and filter. they changed the plug today, and it looked like the bike is running lean (whitish-gray tip). i was told that the backfiring could be caused by the bike running lean.

i know nothing about the inner workings of efi, modules, mapping, etc. i assumed that an efi bike would make adjustments automatically for the slipon, cover and filter.

any help is appreciated. john[/b]
Yes, you are lean. How could you not know that?

The EFI on the KFX is an open-loop system. It doesn't have an exhaust O2 (oxygen) sensor. Therefor, it cannot adjust for changes in the exhaust or intake. You will need to get a programmer.

Basically, if you keep running like you are, you're gonna ruin you motor. Plus, without properly jetting/programming after such modifications, you won't be getting much performance.
DASA pipe, PCIII, FuelATV airbox intake, KX cams, ported head, AC Blackline nerfs, " PRM swingarm skid, Tag Railer chassis skid, UPP urethane case saver, PIAA H6M lights, 15t front sprocket, PB block-off, Spider grips
Old 12-16-2007, 06:22 AM

View jimborph's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via MSN to jimborph
I suggest you go to the powercommander website and download a new map. The company you bought your pipe from might give you a closer matched map as well. Every time you mod the engine, it will need more fuel and air. Read the pcIII instructions - they will guide you through the map changing. Whatever you decide, DON'T ride it without remapping
Old 12-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I suggest you go to the powercommander website and download a new map. The company you bought your pipe from might give you a closer matched map as well. Every time you mod the engine, it will need more fuel and air. Read the pcIII instructions - they will guide you through the map changing. Whatever you decide, DON'T ride it without remapping[/b]
thank you for your quick responses guys. i guess the next thing i need to figure out is (a.) should i try to get the dyna tech to work or (b.) buy the trinity plug n play pc.

do you think i may have damaged the engine by riding it lean for several months? what should i look at to tell if something is damaged?

i know these are newbie questions, but i do appreciate all your responses to my inquiries. john

Old 12-19-2007, 03:27 PM

the backfiring was caused by a hairline crack in the headerpipe. dealership has ordered one for me, so hopefully i'll be up and running soon. btw i got the PCIII, but i have not found any maps for the Trinity slipon and K&N airfilter set up. at this point i plan on running the bike with the cover back on.

anybody want to buy the Dynatek FI controller i got? never been run. doesnt have the crimp, besides that its like brand new. cost 200 plus, will sell for 100.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 PM

View Rogue1970's Photo Gallery(0)
I just saw your post. I was going to suggest checking the head pipe nuts to make sure they are tight. I started backfiring one day and it was because the nuts vibrated out to finger tight.

Glad you found the issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki KFX450 Forum :: KFX450HQ.com > KFX450 Performance > Engine/EFI/Drivetrain